Intel DH55TC Motherboard unable to Boot

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Intel DH55TC Motherboard unable to Boot

Postby redxxd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 am

Hello!!

I am assembling my first CPU, and ran into some problems. My case unit (outer cover) has only 8-pin front panel wires while the motherboard has 9 pins for the front panel. Should the 9th pin (+5v) be left without any connection? The manual doesn't specify what needs to be done.

I am unable to boot. The green standby light glows without flickering. When I press the on/off button, the cpu fan rotates for less than one-tenth of a second.

I've made several attempts of reconnecting without success.

Anything else that I could try?

Please let me know what I could be doing wrong.
redxxd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 am

what brand/model is the case. what CPU are you using, what brand/model memory modules are you using, what brand/model power supply are you using, did you make sure the heatsink/fan is properly mounted on the CPU? Did you make sure no standoff is causing a short between the board and casing etc.

Check the sticky post for troubleshooting new (re)builds.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Thank You... but I still have the same issues.

Postby redxxd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 am

The case is an unbranded case. (Zebronics CS-10)

CPU - Core i3
memory - DDR3 (1*2 GB)
power supply - unbranded

(I bought them at a shop that informed me that these were meant to work with each other)

I did try re-inserting the heatsink/fan but that didn't make a difference.

I also tried removing the memory and starting the motherboard alone just with only the CPU. standby light alone and cpu fan doesn't rotate

Does the motherboard need only 8 pins connected for front panel?

Is there a way of turning the motherboard on by shorting certain terminals to check if the casing is faulty?

Also, How do I ensure that the standoffs are not causing any shorts. I have 6 screw locations that are directly screwed to the case. Also, I tried the 6 locations with different types of metallic screws.
redxxd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby redxxd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:44 am

Also,

The Case came with only one standoff like the one in wikipedia

The rest of the holes are placed with normal screws.
redxxd
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm

some i3 need a newer bios to work:
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/ ... ame=DH55TC

If just CPU fitted (nothing else connected, no harddisk etc) it should beep when powered on. Is the wiring from your case in a single 8-pin connector? Or do you have 4 separate 2pin connectors?

Preventing from shorting: if the case screw places are matching with the holes in the motherboard it is fine. Just no other screw places where there are no holes in the board. When in doubt, test outside the case on a cardboard box and connect the power supply.

Manually briefly shorting two pins that have PWR SW next to them. Power switch.

For sure if the shop says it should work together they will be able to help you out with this too.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Forum Problems/Errors