online with server 2000

Moderator: The Mod Squad

online with server 2000

Postby lannaheim » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Laugh if you want to, but in early 2003 I set up (with a colleague) a Server 2000 because 2003 was still too new to be trusted.

Somehow we set it up to not surf the web. Thereby keeping it safe from harm.

I now want to allow it briefly to go on-line in order to -- irrelevant -- what can I do -- what should I look for -- what must I change?

Any advice would be welcome --even criticisms.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby lannaheim » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Come on, help?! I set it up to NOT SURF and I've spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how I did that...Can't be that difficult. Goes through a Sonic Wall, and has a static IP address.

Of course I am not there now.
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 am

you want to do the basic connectivity check IE make sure the DNS is pointing at the router, default gateway is pointing at the router, disable filtering in the advanced TCP/IP settings, easiest would be to throw away network card and reinstall that using DHCP-settings...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby lannaheim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:58 am

Did basic check; don't remember DNS settings but had no WINS; also perhaps missing a protocol? I'm not there so I can't remember; just know TCP/IP set to intranet static IP. I know I sound like an idiot. It really would help if I had checked more thoroughly and written down settings.

Can't toss NIC; too old, might as well buy a new server. This one only handles e-mail. Which certainly implies that it has internet access, yes?
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 am

hmmm most likely the internet explorer has been set to use a proxy but no address in there then. Could try and load firefox on it.

As replacing the network card, that is in software, in device manager, remove/reinstall driver. before note what make/model the card is and have drivers handy, no surprises then.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

That's a good idea!

Postby lannaheim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 am

I will load FF when I get there (Tues). It pings, it sends and receives e-mail (that is now its main function) but 7 years ago we set it up to "not surf" and by damn I can't make it. If it's merely a setting in IE, and FF fixes it, I will be happy as a sandboy.

I an going to ask more specific questions when I get there. I hope you'll respond.

Thanks!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Networking