BP Oil Spill

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BP Oil Spill

Postby c327 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:50 am

I came across this article today and it really makes my blood boil knowing the United States Government let the people down by not reporting the true facts.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/06/oil.sp ... tml?hpt=T2

I felt right from the beginning that the amount of oil being spilled into the gulf was way more than what was being reported, but it really gets me just how gullible people who read and heard the news as this spill was taking place just accepted all that was being said about it. There was no real out cry by the media or the people. Yes folks bitched and rightly so about the effects of the spill had on their lives and their coast lines etc. but there was no big deal made about the amount of oil being spilled and where it was really going. The United States Government lied to everyone about what really was happening at the time and what it all has resulted in. The facts are that majority of the oil is still in the ocean along with all of the deadly dispersants that was used. And people line up at the BP gas stations to buy BP's oil. Yes I know the crude goes into one pot but a portion of the profits of these BP stations goes to BP. I have never bought EXXON since their spill and now do the same with BP. Seeing the wild life covered in oil looking so helpless is so sad and the damage that was done to the environment is awfull and will be with us for a very long time.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:31 am

hahaha omg the USA is finally coming of age and realizing how completely rotten politicians are by nature. I guess that is what you get for being "civilized" several centuries after Europe.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 am

I thought the US goverment was the most well oiled in the world and has been for some time.

How many times has the US stalled, or diluted, attempts to agree a worldwide emissions cap?
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Most people, in our day and age, accept whatever comes out of that screen in front of them, whether it be the TV, Internet or whatever as the unquestionable truth without ever even considerring trying to verify it. The younger the easier.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 pm

CivilDissent wrote:Most people, in our day and age, accept whatever comes out of that screen in front of them, whether it be the TV, Internet or whatever as the unquestionable truth without ever even considerring trying to verify it. The younger the easier.
Its no different in the UK... The 'silent' majority hurl abuse at the screen, but if asked to do anything about anything from joining a trade union, to local police committee you'll hear all the excuses under the sun to avoid doing so... In essence people are bothered, but it takes an awful, awful lot to get the silent majority to take action...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:09 am

Mr T wrote:Its no different in the UK... The 'silent' majority hurl abuse at the screen, but if asked to do anything about anything from joining a trade union, to local police committee you'll hear all the excuses under the sun to avoid doing so... In essence people are bothered, but it takes an awful, awful lot to get the silent majority to take action...

I blame the education system, not going to do anything about it though ;)
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

BP did attempt to stop the gushing well, but the "rug" wasn't big enough to cover this "oopsie". And they lost billions of dollars from the loss of the drilling rig, not to mention all the crude oil that gushed into the ocean (Gulf of Mexico). There was a long chain of errors leading up to the failure, as there were reports that blowout preventer was faulty! Inspectors and supervisors were negligent in monitoring the process, and ensuring that all safety regulations were followed. A huge bonus was promised, if the well came in before due-date! News article:
And there were rumors the overseers for the Government were lax, "looking the other way" or being given "favors" in lieu of stringent regulations being enforced. Truly, it is classed as worse than the Exxon Valdez oil spill. And likely that several billions of gallons that spewed out are still circulating on the ocean floor, or being dispersed into the Gulf Stream.. to menace other coastal areas for many months.
The Federal government has no authority to take over such operations, unless deemed as a "dire emergency" due to a terrorist or war act. So the politicians just do a 'saber rattling' stage show, or issue non-substantiated news briefs about the incident to calm the public.

Regardless of the political party group, they all are exempt from the rules and regulations enforced on the "general public" by their own making. If all politicians were to pay the same taxes, be part of the same medical plans/retirement plans as the public, see how fast the problems would be fixed!!!
One feature every President for the past 30 years has wanted was the "line-item veto", so worthless pork-barrel projects could be taken off important public bills to save public funds. No wonder Capitol Hill is referred to as "Foggy Bottom".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:49 am

Karlsweldt wrote: No wonder Capitol Hill is referred to as "Foggy Bottom".

actually, foggy bottom is a completely different neighborhood than capitol hill. foggy bottom is about 20-30 blocks west of the capitol.

foggy bottom is used to reference the state department in the context you are trying to use it in.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 am

Now if the President has line-item veto - it's possible that some bills might be 'gutted' leaving only the Pork to pass... after all, besides polarizing us to hate each other and focusing blame anywhere but on themselves - latest news is "Gov't blocked scientists on spill estimate":
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

Now if someone wants to drill for Oil in the Gulf of Mexico - they will fare better working with Venezuela, Mexico or Cuba for their permits... that way they need not deal with the hostile and hypoticritical USA Govt.
Perhaps even selling out to Russia ?
BP May Sell Venezuela Oil Stakes to Russian Venture:
http://usgulfoilspill.com/gulf-oil-spil ... n-venture/

After all - when a Venezuelan offshore rig blows up and sinks - it's LOTS easier to cover up (or dismiss altogether(:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-05-1 ... zuela.html
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:26 pm

The term "Foggy Bottom" may be favored for certain areas or branches of the Federal Government, but the term refers to all government offices and services. Politicians sitting around a meeting table rarely discuss proper procedures.. only when the next 'break' from their strenuous work load is coming! Inter-departmental correspondence is poor. Too much paperwork generated, each department or sector wanting to duplicate the same work as another department or sector and get the credit for doing so!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Hundred Year War