The Mother Board
Pande Group asking for help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Pande Group asking for help Reply with quote

From the Folding Forum:
Quote:
A special request for ATI 4xxx/5xxx owners (memory testing)
by ihaque Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi all,

You all are waiting for an OpenCL GPU FAH client, I know. I'm sorry to say I don't have one for you right now...but I do have another piece of OpenCL software that's fun for the whole family! And if you own an OpenCL-capable ATI/AMD board, I have a request for you.

I'll be presenting a study on GPU memory reliability in a couple weeks, but all I have is data on Nvidia boards (and mostly non-Fermi at that). That previous data shows that the typical failure modes of boards depend dramatically on GPU architecture; it's reasonable to surmise that there might be a difference, then, between ATI and Nvidia, but I've got no data to back this up quite yet. So that's what I need .

The proposition is simple: if you own an ATI 4000 or 5000-series GPU, please download MemtestCL and run as much of it as you're willing over the next two weeks, making sure to allow it to report results back to Stanford. Running more test iterations and a larger amount of memory is useful (to a point: if the amount of memory is too large, you may get timeout errors), but I'll take whatever data I can get. If you have multiple GPUs, it'd be great if you could run it on as many as possible. If you want to run it on your CPU or Nvidia board (heaven forfend that anyone in this subforum would have one of those ), all data is welcome!

You won't get any Folding@home points for doing this, but you will have my gratitude. If I find an interesting pattern in the data, I'll update this thread after my presentation.

Imran

* MemtestCL can be downloaded here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils. Installation instructions in this post: viewtopic.php?p=155637#p155637.

* If you want to loop the test, there's an example batch script in this post: viewtopic.php?p=142297#p142297. It was written for MemtestG80, but basically all you have to do is change "memtestg80" to "memtestcl" and it should pretty much work - you may have to add a command line option to auto-select device and platform.

PS - Also, please pass this request on to your folding teammates

PPS - Some of you may remember a similar thread back in the spring. That was for Fermi, this is for ATI. Though more Fermi data is good too...
ihaque
Pande Group Member

I'll be taking a couple of days off from folding, running this test in a loop for that period. Although the rush is just for a study to be presented in a couple of weeks, the data gathered will be valid for quite a while and may be used for the development of further folding clients.

Come on guys..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Motherboards.org Folding Team All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: