HP P48MX

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Typical of HP products.. nothing else on the market is a replacement part.
If that link provided by Twisty shows the same CPU cooler as yours, then the four screws with springs are to ensure that a specific pressure is on the CPU for efficient heat transfer.. without warping the mobo.
Found no suitable fans as shown in that link, but if there are four screws holding down the heat sink, likely the spacing is "standard" for the Socket 478 design.. and you could replace that ditzy setup with a proper cooling fan and heat sink. Check this eBay link for heat sink retainers and new/used standard heat sinks.

If you can get at the label on the back of the fan, peel it off.. and under that is the bearing. Some light oil, such as 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil, worked into the bearing by finger-spinning the blades for a minute is all it takes to get a few more years out of it. Have done so countless times, not only to CPU fans but to PSU fans and others. After getting the fans' bearing relubed, blot out the excess before putting back into service.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Awesome ideas there guys. Thanks! I will definitely try lubing the bearings myself first. Nearly free is always a major plus to me. I don't need it to last forever... just another year or two.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:50 pm

All those small DC fans use 'brushless' motors, which work via a servo-type induction system (electromagnetic induction). They do not create any EFI or RFI. But they cannot tolerate friction. The bearings are typically a porous bronze type, called "oilite". They are supposed to soak in oil for more than an hour, before assembly. Lucky if they get a 2-second dunk! The oil dries out after a year or so, and the fan can't spin at rated speed. The ball-bearing types also suffer from dry-out, but not as soon. Even they can be relubed with light oil. All it takes is a few drops, about a minute of finger-spinning the blades to get the lube into the bearing, and then GAN!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum