Wireless connection question

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wireless connection question

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Does anyone here have multiple laptops running wireless connections? We just bought a Netbook which when connected to the Internet causes other wireless devices to sporadically drop their connections as well as dropping its own connection. We have 3 laptops, one netbook and 2 wireless printers at home, a total of 6 devices, is this too many or should I look at another reason for these seemingly random disconnections?

BTW, the printers never drop the connection and neither does one of the laptops. They are all pretty close to the router and all the IP's that the router supplies are O.K. I've gone into the Device Managers and turned off the power saving option for the adapter. In quick experiment I wired one of the laptops into a hub and that made the situation better, but not perfect. Wireless overload??

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm

brnad/model of the wireless stuff (router, cards) you are using? what channels are in use nearby? what channel are you using? what signal strength readings do you get?

wireless can be hairtearing sometimes, so many variables at hand....
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 am

Have you checked your router logs, sometimes that can point to a problem.

Malware/crapware on the netbook could be flooding the network with traffic causing it to drop all the clients - as it is new I guess this is unlikely.

When I have had low SnR I have had strange things happen like one wireless client negotiating a low bit-rate which then makes the other clients freak out and lose connection. Forcing the router to run single rather than mixed network mode has helped a bit with this sort of thing.

I run an old Linksys router with freeware Linux installed on it - solves a lot of problems. At the moment I am using a stock Virgin router and the Linksys as a repeater/bridge so I have good SnR through the whole house.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am

Twisty wrote:Malware/crapware on the netbook could be flooding the network with traffic causing it to drop all the clients - as it is new I guess this is unlikely.

That'll be it...not malware but a project I run that is constantly accessing the internet. I can hard wire in another one of my laptops that I only use now and again that should improve things a bit.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Twisty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 am

Good you seem to have a solution.

I always found that routers marketed for home use are very buggy and fall over easily (most bad experiences with Netgear) - mostly they just seem to run out of memory and causing the process to fail. I am out of date on routers, not changed my setup for some years, maybe things have changed.

Once I got a Linksys WRT54GS and flashed DDWRT onto it I found it takes anything I throw at it and never looked back - the web interface even gives me graphs on how much of the routers resources (e.g. bandwidth / ram ) I am using.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:08 am

sitecom that falls over when I do ftp uploads... wired, mind you. I fear I will have to replace that POS then...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking