HP P48MX

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

HP P48MX

Postby Myth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey guys! I'm trying to resurrect my kid's Pentium 4. I bought it from the local university's surplus sale several years ago. Its heatsink fan bearings finally wore out. I need to replace them but am having a bit of trouble figuring out what socket the board is.

It says Hewlett Packard P48MX

On the chip:
Intel Pentium 4
2A GHz/512/400/1.5/v
SL5YR MALAY
L212A900-0405
INTEL.... '01

THANKS in advance!!!!
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 pm

from the SL5YR marking:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27433
Socket478
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:26 pm

evasive you're so WONDERFUL!!!!

THANK YOU a MILLION times!!!! My son has been pestering me for a week now to get their computer back up and running. I couldn't find the answer anywhere (didn't know what info to use to look up with).

=D> :notworthy: :mb_kiss::

OXOXOX
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 pm

when in doubt, ask here. there's more people that know the answer.

especially since you gave ample information. 8)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Likely the fan has a 3-wire lead and plug. It should be easy to find a fan itself, at www.newegg.com/ or other sources. Even eBay has a lot of bargains for the Socket 478 heat sink/fan assembly. That 3-wire setup should be continued, as the BIOS will monitor the fan RPM for safety.
The heat sink typically mounts with flip-over clips on each end, hooked into a plastic "cage" around the CPU. A thin flat-blade screwdriver is handy to poke down inside the loose clip so it comes off the hook at the top of each corner. IBM and some other models use screw-type clamps at the base of the heat sink.
For anything less than a 2.5 Ghz CPU, the OEM heat sink is more than adequate. But for higher speeds and heavy use, a premium model is best.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 am

Ok... The Heatsink is part #hacc-0021. From what I've been finding it seems that this one fan is the only one that will fit the board. It's an HP system. I've found several USED ones on e-bay. I'm leery to buy a used fan from such an old computer since the reason I'm replacing this one is because the bearings are shot. I'd rather spend $15 for a fan with new bearings that will last for several more years than the same amount for another 9 year old fan that will probably go out in a few months like this one just did.

Have any of you run across this type of situation? Is there a way to make any socket 478 heatsink fit the mobo clip holes? The holes where the HS was screwed into are quite far apart. I've never seen such a wide spread base to a HS.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Twisty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 am

HP and dell have some annoying propritry stuff.
Any chance of seeing a pic of the board - may help work out what could be done

Before I have solved this problem with the following methods (from low to high effort)
    lubricated noisy dry fan bearing with oil
    fitted another fan onto heatsink - usally self tapping screws will bite on the fins, esp if they are bent a little to fit
    made a adaptor out of cardboard that slides over the heatsink so a (usually larger) fan fits
    Glued heatsink to chip, no mounting clips required ;)
    Got a large heatsink, cut to size and drilled holes for mounting clips
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Twisty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Is your setup like this.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsup ... D=lpv18115

That looks like standard 478 spacing (which is unusually wide to cater for the huge OEM heatsinks) - maybe somebody will have dimensions so you cna confirm. However, the socket 478 heatsinks usually had a plastic retaining cage that fits the 4 holes on the mobo rather than the heatsink attaching direct.

Something that may be a problem is that the standard heatsinks use a plate on on the back of the motherboard, whereas I am guessing from the image I saw that on your motherboard you can't use a backplate as the mounts go straight into the chassis and prop up the motherboard. However, you should be able to screw the retention plate on with your screws.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Myth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 pm

That's the pain in my hiny right now. I had to unscrew the 4 screws to get it off. They each have a spring (don't know what it's for).

I did see one socket 478 heatsink on newegg that seemed to have a wide stance.

Footprint Measurements of my HS are:
3 1/2" x 2 3/4"

The fan has no visible screws holding it in and the electrical cord is glued to the metal heatsink. I originally wanted to simply get a fan and swap it out. No need to replace the metal part. I just can't figure out how to get the fan off in the first place. Also... don't know what size fan to replace it with.

I HATE propriety computers. When something breaks I want to replace it with whatever I choose... not what THEY tell me I have to use. That's why I've been a member here for so long. I'm always picking someone's brain for info. :D
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Twisty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm

It looks like the fan is actually bonded onto the heatsink. If you are lucky you will find the rotor blade is held on by a circlip under the sticky label and by taking it apart you can get the fan working again by either lubricating it with a light oil or replacing the bearing with one from another fan.

Unfortunatly, it is more likely the circlip is on the inaccesable side, so you are a bit stuffed. You could try leaving it in the freezer (so the glue becomes brittle) and chiseling off the fan...

As you can see it is going to be time consuming, unless you really like spending a lot of time fiddling (like me) - you are better off getting a replacement cooler rather than trying to fix the fan.

The springs are just a method of helping the screws to be done up evenly so the heatsink remains flat, and not so tight that the CPU is crushed.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum