Vacum Cleaner

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

A Peltier cooling setup is very efficient, but does draw several times more power than just a fan. And to be most effective, you would still need a fan to dissipate the heat from the unit's 'hot' side. Those 'heat pipe' cooling methods were popular for awhile, but not as effective as just a fan. A fan was still needed to blow away the heat from another area. Then too the design was crippled if it was not in a vertical array.
The most effective type of fan is the squirrel-cage type. Very little noise, lots of air flow. But bulky. And they do have higher power needs than the typical "brushless" cooling fans.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 am

I disagree that a peltier setup is very efficient. At best they are 1/5th the efficiency of a refrigerator type system. What I meant was a 100W peltier + 20W water cooling, or 10W fan would still be far more efficient than a vaccuum which would be 250W at the very least. Plus the peltier system would get you CPU temp below ambient, whereas the vaccuum would be above ambient.

I didn't know that centrifugal type fans were also called squirrel cage. I think the main benefit of this type of fan is they deal with back pressure far better than axial fans, so they dont need to be mounted directly onto the heatsink.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks