Cooling idea for antec full tower

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cooling idea for antec full tower

Postby syrianrue » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 am

i'm thinking of buying an antec full tower. now, it already has a pretty good ventilation design. with 2-3 fans in the front to suck in cool air; 2 in the top rear to blow out hot air, as well as a fan on the top for getting rid of that excess heat.

what are some other ways of making it an even better environment?
using round IDE cable so the airflow is smoother in the case? anything else though?
syrianrue
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am

Don't know what temps you are running with, but a cheap-shot way to reduce temps would be to UnderClock (actually use BIOS to slow the CPU to lower than rated speed), depending on what you are doing (web, Word processing, etc. should have very little noticable effect) - if you are trying to push a Frame Rate for a game, underclocking may not be what you want to do.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:46 am

What have you got for a parts list now? Most Intel boards (LGA775, not sure about the new 1156 and 1366 boards) will automatically throttle the processor back to slower speeds if the power isn't needed.

Otherwise, you're on the right track. If you've got a bunch of IDE drives, round cables help a bit, but it's more important to get your wiring neat, tidy, and out of the way. Run power cables behind the motherboard tray, if the case has room for it, tuck extra cables out of the way (I usually wrap extra power cables neatly, if I don't use a modular PSU, and tuck them out of the way on top of the optical drive, or under the drive in the optical drive bay), just make things neat. If you just leave unused cabling hanging loose in the case, you'll restrict your airflow a surprising amount.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 pm

My old antec case has a 100x200mm hole chopped in the top with a water cooling radiator mounted in it, I would say that makes for a good cooling enviroment :P

Choose fans carefully for their CFM and dB. There is a compromise between airflow and noise. Fans are not equal and some are superior and better designed than others

Power supply exhaust to push the PSU heat up and incourage a convection effect and take heat away from the back of the case.

Side fan or ducts to pull cool air from outside directly to processor.

GPU heat exhaust to outside of case.

Dust filters on fan intakes - less air flow bur better for maintenance and long term efficiency.

Larger fans give better CFM/dBA

Lots of fans but with fan controller so you can reduce the RPM and lower noise when case temps are lower. Or you can 5V mod the fans.

Regarding cables the best setup I ever had was flat cables carefully attached flat against the walls of the case or running under the motherboard but that took me ages to install.

The manual underclocking idea still has some value on modern setups IF this is to allow lower than stock voltages on the CPU/memory (good luck getting that stable though).

Fancy lights in the fans to add a bit of visual interest to the enviroment.

Case material - chunky aluminium dissipates heat better than thin steel.
Case colo(u)r - Black is the best radiator of heat (but best absorber of heat which could be a factor if it recieves direct sunlight).

That is all I can think of without going really exotic but I am sure I fotgot something.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks