First time hosting a server.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

First time hosting a server.

Postby pgiustino » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm

First thing, I have Clearwire's Clear wireless internet. I have a port that I opened to try and host a Minecraft server on it, but a couple of friends have not been able to get in (though in the server i see the fail attempts). Could anyone give me some insight to what could be the problem?

I think I have correctly set my router as the dmz, and forwarded the port on my router. Or is it just something my isp won't allow?
MSI K8t Neo Fis2r
pgiustino
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Likely the server's Firewall is locking out any attempts of untrusted users logging in. You have to provide an "open" port for access, yet ensure it is monitored for any threats. The Firewall has to know that port is open to external inputs. It is a good idea to provide a user name and password check point. Thus registering, those users have mostly unlimited features access, while the OS and data base are locked down. But those without registration can only view.
Some help: http://www.technospot.net/blogs/host-a- ... r-home-pc/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Fixed Post.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 am

Note: Clearwire does not allow web hosting inside the network. Port 80 is blocked and will not be opened for static IP addresses. As a solution to your hosting needs, Clearwire provides free offsite web hosting. See Email and Web setup for more information.

http://www.clearwire.com/support/help/p ... aticip.htm
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking