Installed new video card - now cannot fold!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Installed new video card - now cannot fold!

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:09 pm

My old Gigabyte GT9800 card went south and I just finished installing a new EGVA GTX 460 card, but all I get when I try to fold is all sorts of errors, and then it goes to 'sleep'.

I did download the GPU3 app for the Fermi nVidia cards, deleted (uninstalled via the Control Panel) the old 6.23 app for the 9800 cards, and then installed the 6.32 app, but it still gives all sorts of errors!

System is Win7 64 bit with 12 gig ram and an l7 920 cpu. Seeing as how I just passed the million point milestone, I'd like to keep on folding, but I guess not, at least until someone can help me out here!

Thanks....

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Ensure that all old drivers for the old video card are uninstalled. Also check the Hardware/Device Manager to ensure the old device is removed. Then the new and proper driver should be installed. If you have no problems with normal video and gaming, then likely the GPU folding process does not recognize the new card's drivers. You may have to save all your work to another folder, then recreate the F@H GPU setup. Might be a good idea to check with Stanford to see what video cards are approved for the GPU folding regimen.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Hmm, I don't have any experience with this card but there's a couple of things. First off, make sure you have the latest Drivers direct from the NVidia site, drivers that come with the card are bound to be outdated and older drivers won't work with GPU3. If you have no joy with that then delete the GPU3 client and go back to GPU2 which is more stable.

Might be a good idea to check with Stanford to see what video cards are approved for the GPU folding regimen.

Card is supported, quite a few using this...gives around 10k per day

:o

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Got it! When I uninstalled the older 6.23 F@H program the process did not delete the work data folder hidden in the appdata/roaming files under users. I manually deleted them, then started the 6.32 F@H again, got the error message 'work data not found' then I guess it went out and got new w/u's. Its now folding away at about 9000 PPD! The best I ever had before was about 5700 PPD. When the old video card crashed I did loose a w/u that was 95% done...oh well. I guess w/u's for the GPU2 cannot run under GPU3.

Question though - I note the video card temps are about 155 F (69 C) up from 98 F (37C)....is that too hot? Don't want to burn out my new card!

Thanks!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 am

That temp is fine. Mine run at around the 70 degree mark and I've had no problems despite running 24/7 for over a year.

Pete

EDIT, Congrats on the your first million. The next ones should come really fast now :D
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team