A new Box for a Buddy - where should we start ?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A new Box for a Buddy - where should we start ?

Postby -Jim- » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 am

Folks,

I'm going to be building another new Box for a Buddy. He's into performance, and cost is not really the deciding fator. The last Box I built for him had an EVGA X58 MotherBoard and the Intel QuadCore i7 920 CPU with a 12 Gig Corsair Dominator DDR3 Memory Kit. The Antec P190 Case had dual power supplies (1200 Watts) and lots of slots for 5.25 inch devices.

He had me install 4X1 TB Hard Drives in a Raid 10 for redundancy (security blanket) and speed.

I was really disapointed with the X58 as it didn't allow for Hot Swapping of Drives (I installed 2 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drives) as he moves a lot of data (think movies) about. He purchased the X58 so early the Bios updates (and bugs) were abundant. I was used to Asus and Gigabyte MBs so dealing with an EVGA MB was a new experience. Most of their users are very loyal to EVGA and readily accept bugs as the price for being in such an elite group of users.

I almost forgot Video Cards. I did install a couple SLI enabled nVidia Cards but found it lacking as my Buddy wanted multiple monitor capability and in that mode only one monitor can be used.

He spec'd all the gear and went crazy buying it before I could research it thoroughly. He now mumbles Fridge 5 (that's what he calls 'em due to the insulated Antec P180 case I built the first one into.) should have water block cooling of the CPU and SSD in some configuration. Of course it will be Win7 Ultimate 64 as well.

I'm just going to go to lunch with him and discuss it.

So anyway, where would be a good place to start?
-Jim-
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Recommendations