linksys wrt350n running slow

Moderator: The Mod Squad

linksys wrt350n running slow

Postby Dr.Robotnik » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Is it normal for this router to be running at 50 Mbits a sec because I thought 802.11n could get 300 Mbits a sec my networking knowledge is rather hazy
so sorry if this is a dumb question. I just want to make sure my router is working properly.
Dr.Robotnik
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby pbailey » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 pm

802.11n networks support approximately 300 Mbps of rated (theoretical) bandwidth under the best conditions. Unfortunately, an 802.11n network will sometimes operate at much lower speeds (130 Mbps and below).

For an 802.11n network to run at its maximum speed, Wireless N routers and network adapters must be linked and running in a channel bonding mode.

In 802.11n, bonding utilizes two adjacent Wi-Fi channels simultaneously to double the bandwidth of the wireless link compared to 802.11b/g. The 802.11n standard specifies 300 Mbps theoretical bandwidth is available when using channel bonding. Without it, about 50% of this bandwidth is lost (actually slightly more due to protocol overhead considerations), and 802.11n equipment will generally report connections in the 130-150 Mbps rated range in those cases.

If the 802.11n network includes any 802.11b/g clients, performance of the entire network may be negatively affected, depending on the router's capabilities. Because 802.11b/g clients do not support channel bonding, these must be set up properly with a mixed mode Wireless N router to minimize performance impact.

Interference from other 802.11n networks nearby can prevent a Wireless N router from sustaining channel bonded connections. In fact, some Wireless N routers automatically fall back to single channel operation when they detect wireless interference on the channels.

Hope this helps!
The day you stop learning, is the day you die!

Paul
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:22 pm

In other words, yes, it's probably fine. :P

In the lab, 300Mbps is possible enough to give it credibility, in a clean, straight-shot room with no interference.

In the real world, you have walls, electrical wiring, maybe an appliance like a window A/C unit plugged into the same circuit as your computer and router, the computer itself......refrigerator between you and the router, heck, even if you don't have A/C, that big rotating fan you got blowing on you from a few feet away is wreaking havoc with the wireless signal.

Also bear in mind that 300Mbps is right next to the router, as in, the router physically touching the computer. Move 15 feet away, that speed drops drastically. Figure 802.11g is supposed to have a range of 150 feet or so. In my house, I'm lucky to get a third of that at any kind of speed, and that's on a single floor house, with two walls between me and the router. I also don't get near the rated speed.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Dr.Robotnik » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 am

ok just makin sure i did not set it up incorrectly havent had to many problems with my connetion so i guess it is fine thanks guys :wink:
Dr.Robotnik
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Networking