Updating an OEM board to an Intel BIOS

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Updating an OEM board to an Intel BIOS

Postby dharbert » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey guys, I haven't posted here in quite some time. I'm having a bit of an issue with an OEM motherboard.

It's a Gateway DG33SXG2 motherboard, which is the OEM equivalent of the Intel DG33TL. I am wanting to upgrade it to the maximum supported processor I can put in it. The processor support list for the Intel version of the board is http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/ ... ame=dg33tl

Gateway support says they absolutely would not help me with upgrading the processor and wouldn't even tell me what processors the newest BIOS revision for the board supports.

My question is, since I know what processors the Intel BIOS for this board supports, would it hurt anything to swap the Gateway BIOS for the Intel BIOS? Physically and electrically they are the exact same motherboard.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Chipset-wise, they're not the same. Gateway, like all the others, uses a modified OEM chipset. Sometimes an OEM BIOS will work (but rarely), without any problems. If it does take, and boots, you'll most likely lose some functionality. More often than not, it just bricks the board. That's not something I really suggest doing, dropping a retail BIOS on an OEM board. Is there any reason you can't just buy the Intel board? They're available for $75-ish, that's what I'd do if I really wanted to upgrade the system. Gateway/Acer tends to use standard standoff locations, and I don't believe the PSU is proprietary.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dharbert » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:33 pm

There's no reason I can't just buy the Intel version of the board. I'm just wanting to see what I can get away with processor-wise using the most current revision of the OEM BIOS, which unfortunately I haven't been able to find any solid information on.

I don't want to spend the money on a 3.0Ghz Quad Core and have it not even boot up.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, it wouldn't hurt to try, it's just risky. You could bounce up to a G41/G43 chipset for the same price as the Intel/Gateway board and get better performance to boot.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dharbert » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Found a similar post on the AnandTech forums:

FWIW, the Gateway "Schroeder Town" G33 motherboard is an OEM/bulk version of the Intel DG33TL/DG33BU/DG33FB retail board. The latest Intel BIOS (common to all three) for these boards is fully compatible and much newer than the Gateway version, which is several versions behind. Here are the release notes from Intel:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1793...easeNotes2.pdf

If your Gateway is out of warranty, you could update the BIOS using the latest Intel BIOS but it would break the OEM Windows activation. You'd need to change the product key to the one located on the COA sticker affixed to the chassis, then activate Windows by calling activation support.

The flash utility won't work straight-away, you'd need to use the recovery BIOS method/procedure.

Looks like the Intel BIOS can be used, but I would have to remove the BIOS configuration jumper and update manually either with a floppy drive or a CD.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:39 pm

Looks like it. Worth a shot! If it works, I'll put that one on my growing list of OEM boards that will take retail BIOS's.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 am

yep. BUT

you also need to check the AAxxxxx-xxx or CAxxxxxx-xxx model on the board (on the same sticker as the serial number and barcode). Because not all revisions do support all processors. That is a hardware issue, you can flash all the bioses you want, if the revision is too low it won't help.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS