BP's Oil Gone From The Water ?????

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BP's Oil Gone From The Water ?????

Postby c327 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 am

On the news yesterday was that most of the spilled BP oil is gone, something like 25% remains.

25% remaining is still an enormous amount of oil left behind. What I see on the news about this turns my stomach. These folks are nothing but a bunch of lying weasels including the illegal alien Obama.

If you dig down 18 inches off the Alaska coast where the Valdez busted open you will still find oil.

Not only do folks need to worry about the oil and where it went and is now, but folks had better be concerned about the effects of the oil dispersants that were used. I don't think chemical polution goes away that well.

This spill catastrophe will be with us for decades even though one doesn't see the oil on the top of the water and that was BP's idea all along, out of sight out of mind. PDT_Armataz_01_02

“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 pm

You hit the nail on the head!

There are many ironies in this whole event, some of the big ones are:
1) Where were the huge, liberal evironmental protesters throughout this whole affair? If a Republican had been in office during this, there would have been so many protesters with signs in front of the white house, on Louisiana beaches, in New York, etc., etc..

2) Why are the liberal media's not questioning the use of the 'dispersants'? These 'dispersants' are most likely chemically based, i.e. petroleums, etc.

3) Why is the media not even worried about identifying these 'dispersants'? If a Republican had been in office, the media would be claiming a cover up because there is no positive identification.

4) Why is the media so easily convinced that all of the oil, or the vast majority of it, has just disappeared or been sucked up. That is the biggest load I have heard in a long, long time. The simple admittance that a 'dispersant' was used merely means that most of the oil is still out but just broken down to destroy and harm plants and animals in a different way.

If you think about it, anyone that has ever changed the oil in a car, or had an oil leak on their driveway, etc. will admit that oil does not just 'go away'. The water in the base oil may evaporate but the oil itself stays and becomes a thicker, more permanent substance.

If anything, this is a bigger coverup than anything done in a Republican administration and the saddest thing is that so many people are buying it.

Come on people, open your eyes!
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am

The figures from NOAA are....

17% Recovered from leak by pipe and top hat
05% Burnt off
03% Skimmed
25% Evaporated
16% Natural (Eaten by Bacteria mainly)
08% Dispersed by Chemicals
26% Still in the Gulf or onshore

Those figures sound reasonable to me. NOAA have no reason to manipulate those figures, they have a very high reputation the world over.

Much of the remaining oil will degrade over the next few years. Estimates are that 205 million barrels were released into the Gulf, which compares with the next biggest spill of 8.8 million when Iraq deliberately released oil from Kuwait into the Arabian Gulf.

This could have been a lot worse, for example if the platform had only been 5 miles from the coast, or if the oil had been a heavier crude oil, I dread to think of the long term consequences had that been the case. To me, an outsider, I put the blame almost entirely on BP and the company that ran the Platform for it. The incumbent president was not to blame for the spill but was asleep on the job for a while, you'd have though he'd have learned something from the previous administrations initial (non)response to the Katrina disaster.

BTW, I think it's unfair for anyone to make political points on this issue. It's very easy to lay the blame on the administration in power, but what about the administration that drew up the safety regulations years ago. It's much better if we all work together to prevent it happening again IMHO.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby c327 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:22 am

Pette Broad wrote:The figures from NOAA are....

17% Recovered from leak by pipe and top hat
05% Burnt off
03% Skimmed
25% Evaporated
16% Natural (Eaten by Bacteria mainly)
08% Dispersed by Chemicals
26% Still in the Gulf or onshore

Those figures sound reasonable to me. NOAA have no reason to manipulate those figures, they have a very high reputation the world over.

Much of the remaining oil will degrade over the next few years. Estimates are that 205 million barrels were released into the Gulf, which compares with the next biggest spill of 8.8 million when Iraq deliberately released oil from Kuwait into the Arabian Gulf.

This could have been a lot worse, for example if the platform had only been 5 miles from the coast, or if the oil had been a heavier crude oil, I dread to think of the long term consequences had that been the case. To me, an outsider, I put the blame almost entirely on BP and the company that ran the Platform for it. The incumbent president was not to blame for the spill but was asleep on the job for a while, you'd have though he'd have learned something from the previous administrations initial (non)response to the Katrina disaster.

BTW, I think it's unfair for anyone to make political points on this issue. It's very easy to lay the blame on the administration in power, but what about the administration that drew up the safety regulations years ago. It's much better if we all work together to prevent it happening again IMHO.

Pete

I do agree that this was an accident and was not done intentionally but I do believe that things could have been done differently that may have prevented it.

What gets my blood boiling is when I see all the animals that were affected by this and how many peoples lively hoods were lost and how quick BP, the US government and the one sided media pass this all off as being all so great and almost all over.

For some folks to really care about this it seems to me that the oil needs to be on their front lawns or in their driveway before they realize the extent of the seriousness of this spill.

I do remember the news media (CNN) reporting early on that BP did have an inter agency memo put out regarding keeping a low profile with an out of sight out of mind attitude and that in time it would all go away, but folks....my thinking is that the affects of this horrible oil spill will be with us for the remainder of our lives even though you don't see the oil floating on top of the water.

Granted BP and the US government was not prepared for this kind of oil spill but it makes no difference, it happened. Proof that this isn't going away any time soon is the fact that in Alaska the Valdez oil is still there if you go looking for it.

Watching BP put the Charmin on the oil in the water really is for gullible people to see and I am sad to say we have all to many people like that around.

Folks are being miss led by these miserable lying weasels on how really serious this whole deal really is.

26% still in the water or still on shore, no big deal right?. That is 53.3 million barrels not gallons....barrels. We need to work all together for sure and that would be to get these lying weasels out of the US government and get rid of CNN who speaks to the gullible.

PDT_Armataz_01_02 PDT_Armataz_01_02
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 pm

First, I live only a few miles from the gulf beach and a few hundred miles to the south. This spill is relatively close to me and I do have friends that work on these type rigs. Not the specific one, but ones very close to them.

Second, I worked for Dow Chemical for 14 years and know that the regulations on chemicals are extremely strict and much has to be done any time there is a spill.

Third, I have never, ever heard, read, seen or anything else of oil "evaporating". As I explained in my previous post, some components of oil, especially crude oil, may break down and "evaporate" but most base components remain.

Fourth, just because you cannot see it, flying over in a plane, is absolutely no reason to say it is not there.

Fifth, most of it, though it is not covered in the national news is very frequently covered in our local news. For example, although people who do not live locally probably have not seen it, our local news has been covering local Louisiana fisherman going out into the bays and heaping thick sludges of oil off the bottom. So, it is there. It has not just dissappeared as Obama wants you to think. And, it is thick.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:39 pm

CivilDissent wrote:Fifth, most of it, though it is not covered in the national news is very frequently covered in our local news. For example, although people who do not live locally probably have not seen it, our local news has been covering local Louisiana fisherman going out into the bays and heaping thick sludges of oil off the bottom. So, it is there. It has not just dissappeared as Obama wants you to think. And, it is thick.

Yep and the area that Katrina hit still looks like crap but its no longer news...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Pette Broad wrote:BTW, I think it's unfair for anyone to make political points on this issue. It's very easy to lay the blame on the administration in power, but what about the administration that drew up the safety regulations years ago. It's much better if we all work together to prevent it happening again IMHO.

Pete

I have to agree with Pete. Who gives a rat's behind what Obama thinks, he was in grade school, if that old, when these regulations were put into effect. That oil derrick was built, when? Nearly ten years ago? What could any current administration have to do with it? George H W Bush, he was in power then.

Look, I don't like Obama for a lot of reasons, but this is turning into unreasonable fingerpointing. Yes, it's a disaster. Yes, it could be handled better, but we have never dealt with this type of situation before. Not the oil itself, but where it's coming from. Blame BP and whoever approved the plans for that, they didn't have a plan in effect in case something like this DID happen. Obama has jack crap to do with it, other than put a good face on things.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Yep and the area that Katrina hit still looks like crap but its no longer news...

And, so does the area that Ike hit. But, then again, Ike was not in Louisiana so it does not even matter to the majority of the national media.

Also, although I do believe wells should be constructed in the gulf, for our own benefit, I also feel there should be strict regulations on them and companies, such as BP, should not be able to circumvent certain regulations.

As far as Obama goes, our local media is showing how BP may not even have to plug the bottom of the well now. Remember those two wells that were being drilled to plug the bottom of the well? Well, they may not even have to use them now. And you say Obama has nothing to do with it? Why doesn't he make it a law that if something like this happens, the oil well company has to plug both the top and the bottom like they originally intended...or implied?

Also, I do agree that the Bushs had a part in this but would be willing to bet that others such as Clinton and Carter had a hand in it too. Once again, pull out those secret laws and papers that this congress, with Pelosi, have been fluently hiding.

Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 am

CivilDissent wrote:Also, I do agree that the Bushs had a part in this but would be willing to bet that others such as Clinton and Carter had a hand in it too. Once again, pull out those secret laws and papers that this congress, with Pelosi, have been fluently hiding.

I agree there, but we don't know how much detail is available to the current administration, and for that matter, what can be done to modify or change it. Sure, it could be done, but how long would it take, and at what expense? Honestly, this would have happened with anybody, and I can't reasonably assume that if McCain had won that he'd do something different. You've still got all those senators and reps below him that stand to lose a whole heck of a lot more money if they admit mistakes. That's where it all lies anyway, money. I'm for picking up a section of the seabed that's not as critical, digging God knows how much up, dropping a workable cap on the damn well, and burying it 100 feet deep in a seabed/oil containment cement pile that'll never leak, but never allow repair and resuse of that well, either. That won't happen. I'd feel bad for the guys that lost their jobs, though they could be transferred elsewhere, but I have that unreasoning hope that they'd go for the idea themselves, I can't imagine they'd put their own finances above global destruction.

I swear, I'm going to buy that solar generator I use to run my PA system off of for SolarFest, truck it out to a patch on the mountain, put up a nice cabin, and turn into Grizzly Adams. With satellite internet. 8)
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Spark » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War