Not getting a Dell

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Not getting a Dell

Postby evasive » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:48 am

By the time you make mistakes of this magnitude i am not going to risk my assets to your hardware

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... 39458.aspx

Thanks for your interest and feedback on your PowerEdge server. The service phone call you received was in fact legitimate. As part of Dell’s quality process, we have identified a potential issue with our service mother board stock, like the one you received for your PowerEdge R410, and are taking preventative action with our customers accordingly. The potential issue involves a small number of PowerEdge server motherboards sent out through service dispatches that may contain malware. This malware code has been detected on the embedded server management firmware as you indicated.

We take matters of information security very seriously and believe that any impact to a customer’s information security is unlikely. To date we have received no customer reports related to data security. Systems running non-Windows operating systems are not vulnerable to this malware and this issue is not present on motherboards shipped new with PowerEdge systems.

We have assembled a customer list and are directly contacting customers like you through a call campaign. On the call, you should be provided a phone number to call if you have additional questions. Hopefully you received this on your call. If not, let me know and we’ll get it to you as soon as possible so you have all of the follow-up information needed.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:44 am

Not getting a Dell is smart thinking, the company has no face.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:44 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:33 am

It'd be nice if I could say that I'm shocked by all this...........
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CivilDissent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:15 pm

A farmer in the .............
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:12 am

From a corporate point of view, I actually recommend HPs and Dells all the time, as long as they have an Onsite, Next Business Day warranty on them.

Its a big pain in the butt dealing with clone towers when motherboards die and the equipment is simply not available anymore to get the system going. And even if you can get something, it usually takes longer for us to turn around a clone tower repair, then an OEM manufacturer one.

Clients complain so much when their personal work machines die that I've pretty much given up on the clone market for business purposes.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:00 pm

That's where the OEM's should be. Bulk sales. IT was that way for awhile anyway, back in my Gateway days. Personal home computers did a brisk business, all things considered, but getting into the business sales end of things would skyrocket your commission in a big hurry, even at the discounts. Having a standardised line of systems through the company is a good idea, just from the hardware standard. I agree, it's a pain in the butt when one IT guy in a company leaves that's been handling on-site hardware, and it's all custom built stuff only he really knows about. OEM's somewhat eliminate that issue.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Hundred Year War