Olivetti M480-30 BIOS

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Well I guess I'll have to dig down in the pile of manuals for any info because that bit is not in the service manual :(
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Well, do that only if you can, I don't want to create problems, if you can do that, I'll be REALLY, REALLY pleased.

Thx,
Davide
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:07 pm

This link for setting SCSI ID jumpers may be helpful. Although the reference is for a tape drive, the SCSI ID settings are similar for hard drives. Here are the specs for that Connor CP3200F. Placement on the data cable is not important, as long as the drive ID is set properly. But oddly the primary hard drive is relegated to ID #6 instead of #0 or #1.
If that system is 1990 or prior, likely it is an 8086 or 8088 CPU type, which seldom had any BIOS access.. just ROM configuration. The 80286 was the first line of systems that had a true BIOS that was user-accessible. If the system indeed has a BIOS, there would be specific key combos to use for access. Typically, the Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Alt+Ins or Ctrl+Alt+S were used instead of simply the Del key. But early user-configurable BIOS types often required a boot disk that gave access to the settings. I do have 'ancient' setup disks for BIOS types of Award and Phoenix.

If there are no partitions or no operating system on the hard drive, then you will need to install same. About the best you could use would be an old MS-DOS version 5.0 or a basic Linux OS version. 1 MB of memory is sufficient for DOS 5.0 to work. Even MS-DOS 6.22 would work on such a system. But don't think of installing Windows 95 or later versions!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 am

Hi guys, I searched deeply the Web, and it seems that my system needs a particular and proprietary floppy disk to enter and set the BIOS.
I asked a retrocomputerist friend this morning, he had those floppy, I made a copy of this and used on the PC. It charges regularly, but when I select "Setup system", after a few seconds, it displays "System not supported", and returns to the main menu. Later a vid to explain better.
I've got an Intel 80486 DX @25 mHz.
I've already set the jumpers on the HDD in the correct way, but nothing different happened.

I'm going crazy with this Olivetti! PDT_Armataz_01_02
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:30 am

omg, I just remember. some of those early olivetti boxes do need a seperate system setup disk. hmmm the challenge has grown quite a bit all of a sudden...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:20 am

Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:15 am

Yep the idea is good to use a setup disk BUT you need one for this series of machines.

What machine does your friend have?
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 am

Well, my friend doesn't have any olivetti machine, but he confirms me that they are for an M480-30. I asked finally to a pro retrocomputerist that said that probably they aren't for the correct BIOS version. But... which version do I have? Nobody knows.
Does anybody have a floppy in order to try it?

Thx,
Davide
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 am

if you do not put in the floppy it shoudl say what version of resident diagnostics are on the machine.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Retrocomputer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh yes, sorry, you're right. :oops:
It displays i486 Diagnostics V. 1.06

Bye,
Davide
Retrocomputer
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext