Bios trouble, help please

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Bios trouble, help please

Postby pegasus867 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi, My computer crashed due to a thunderstorm and as I run out of money, I decided to re-assemble the old pentium 2 ATC 6220 motherboard but the old motherboard did not recognize hard disks bigger than 5Gb. I have found an upgrade on the internet and the computer begin very well, the trouble appeared after install a new ethernet card and after more or les 70% of the O.S. load (windows 2000) crashed and then a blue screen and a error message is displayed, or if the win2000 is loaded, there is a conflict between the ethernet card and the floppy and CD rom drive (there is no disk/cd in the drive).

a friend of mine sent me a GVC KR637 (08/04/98-i440LX-W83977-2A69JG5AC-00)motherboard and there is no info about it on the internet and also does not recognize hard disks larger than 5 Gb.

I need to use two hard disks of 40Gb at least

is there some program to read the bios downloaded to see if something is interfering???

may somebody help me???

thanks in advance
Octavio Salcido
pegasus867
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

I'll try and find an update for that bios. If it's not out there we'll have to patch your current bios which means you'll have to make a backup of that. I'll let you know.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby camil » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:32 am

If you want to use two hard disk with your computer then you attach another Data and power cable for running your computer.
camil
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:52 am

problem is not with the connection but with the bios recognizing the actual size of the harddisk.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

A couple of options to consider. First one is to find a copy of EZ Bios from Maxtor which by passes the bios. It's freeware and should be easy to find on the net. The second option, the one I'd go for, is to get a PCI Hard Disk Card, they'll take massive Hard Disks and CD/DVDRom drives.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 am

I was waiting for the forum to come back alive to see what bios I need to patch.

There's a list here that was already done and tested:
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

My list is here:
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/edwin/ I have done the KR638 but not yet the KR637...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 am

evasive wrote:problem is not with the connection but with the bios recognizing the actual size of the harddisk.

evasive is right. Prior to the year 2000, very few BIOS types could recognize hard disk capacities above 32 GB, although the specs were listed in the POST roster correctly.
As noted in the original posting for the BIOS string,
GVC KR637 (08/04/98-i440LX-W83977-2A69JG5AC-00)
the bold type indicates the date of the BIOS issue. Pette Broad noted use of EZ BIOS to configure the drive so the maximum partition size falls within the BIOS limits.. or you can manually set those partitions using a Win 98 boot/service disk. Only problem with the EZ BIOS program is that you cannot access the drive if installed as a secondary drive.. it has to be a primary drive!

If the maximum partition size for that system is 20 GB (or 32 GB) then even an 80 GB drive could be used.. as long as the primary partition size is within the BIOS limits. An extended partition can then be formed, and as many partitions created as required to gain full use of the drive. Windows 98SE had a limit of 32 GB maximum primary partition size, but you must set the limit to 30 GB or less so as to have "space" to create an extended partition for additional drives!

Even in years past, when the 20 GB drives were on the market, older systems could only access up to a 3.2 GB partition size or so! Windows 2000 and later OS issues had a much larger primary partition limit.. but you are still restricted by the BIOS programming.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:39 am

Another way of tackling this is using an add-in card with its own bios like the promise fasttrak or something. But the issue is it costs money then.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:19 pm

evasive wrote:Another way of tackling this is using an add-in card with its own bios like the promise fasttrak or something. But the issue is it costs money then.

It's highly likely that one of the latest cards wouldn't work with a board that old. I ran into this problem with a new PCI network card an old PII recently. Different versions of PCI I think. Older cards work fine on newer boards but not the other way round. Actually, I have an old PCI card in my quad core machine, I run my DVDRom from it, as there's only one IDE slot on the mainboard and that's taken up by 2 HD's.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to BIOS