workgroup error "don't have permission"

Moderator: The Mod Squad

workgroup error "don't have permission"

Postby lannaheim » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I have never until now had this problem. Workgroup computers in a simple network should be able to see, share, talk to each other. In 1st case scenario, they are on a workgroup, with a switch, and I can't get the 3rd computer to act as a server. Other computers see it on the workgroup, but I get an error that I don't have rights to access the shared drive. This is XP, on a switch.

2nd scenario, there is a LAN on a windows 2000 server, no active directory but just the basic. All workstations are XP Pro 32-bit and have always worked fine. No MS exchange. Sonic Wall for security. No domain; workgroup (small network w/ only 10-14 users, printers network on IP addresses.) I introduced a workstation with Windows 7 64 bit Pro. It has trouble in Work network, so I switched to Home. Same Workgroup name. Same problem, below.

Does anyone know why these two disparate machines cannot be accessed by other computes on the workgroup? The other computers "SEE" the server / computer, but will not allow access. writing to shared drives.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

A member of Folding Team number 33258 for a cure for PARKINSONS DISEASE
lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 pm

it all depends on what rights you set on the shares, how the netBIOS (not NEtBEUI!) settings are and check the firewall settings too...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Nah...

Postby lannaheim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 pm

I've set up lots of smiple workgroup networks and never had this problem before. Since I set them all up the same way, according to my personal standards, there's no reason to think these would be different. Of course, the one is over an office -- but doesn't have active directory or exchange server; the other is only three computers in a group. Every other time I've set up the latter, I've been able to work it, even when one is a Mac and the othes are PCs. Odd?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 am

Have the windows 2000 server box runs WINS, that should help name resolution.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS, SAME RESULT

Postby lannaheim » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:24 am

SERVER 2000: only problem is that all workgroup PCs can see but not access the new windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All Workstations are running XP Pro 32.

SIMPLE THREE-STATION WORKGROUP: I put the third box on a switch so the user could do LogMeIn. I wanted to store all the commonly accessed files on that machine and have other computers go through the workgroup, ao I shared the folder. Now they can see the folder but cannot access it. Where do I make changes? And why now when never before? All are running XP Pro 32.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

Enable the guest account on the XP problem server or make sure an account exists like on the other systems with the same name and password.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 pm

The windows 7 box most likely needs to be enabled somewhere for file sharing. it seems that works a bit different from previous versions, check the windows help on this...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

File sharing

Postby lannaheim » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh, yeah...Windows 7 is a LOT different in that regard. I got it with Pro, not Home, but the only way I can access the server (Server 2000) is if I put it in Home mode. Very weird.

Any ideas about the other, simple workgroup?

Have you noticed how much traffic on this site has died down? I can't seem to get anyone to answer (other than YOU). Ta, for that.
--- Groucho Marx

lannaheim
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Networking