Racing before Gran Turismo

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Racing before Gran Turismo

Postby 8bit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

What racing games, arcade & console, would you say were the great games prior to Gran Turismo? Pole Position and Bump N' Jump are pretty legendary. 8)

Bump N' Jump Firebird
8bit
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Ugh.....I was gonna say Crash Team Racing, but that didn't come out until two years after Gran Tursimo. You already mentioned Pole Position, that one is good for me. Got it when it came out. :lol:
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 8bit » Mon May 03, 2010 4:26 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Ugh.....I was gonna say Crash Team Racing, but that didn't come out until two years after Gran Tursimo. You already mentioned Pole Position, that one is good for me. Got it when it came out. :lol:

Ha, ha, yes, we are talking about the killer racing games of the '70s to mid '90s. At one time half or more arcade machines had a steering wheel attached, lol. :D

Super Sprint started out as the black & white Atari arcade game Gran Trak 10, and eventually got more sophisticated in color and ended up as one of the most popular games on NES. They were simpler times, they were better times. 8)

8bit
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Hmm..........well, I can't remember what it was called, but my grandmother bought me a handheld racing game way back when, must have been the late 70's. Mattel Auto Race, I think. I should ask my aunt, for all I know that game is still in the attic somewhere. :o Nothing fancy, but a heck of a lot of fun, at least for an eight year old.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 pm

I remember that game in the screenshot!!! Used to play it in arcades.....it was so awesome. Had a steering wheel that you just spun around really fast to turn.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby 8bit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Hmm..........well, I can't remember what it was called, but my grandmother bought me a handheld racing game way back when, must have been the late 70's. Mattel Auto Race, I think. I should ask my aunt, for all I know that game is still in the attic somewhere. :o Nothing fancy, but a heck of a lot of fun, at least for an eight year old.

Sounds like the small version of the arcade game Demon Driver, where you had three verticle rows coming towards your car (you are at the bottom of the screen) and you had to find the clear space and dodge them. Those hand held games usually had LED lighting and worked on a timer if I recall. Most early mechanical arcade games worked on a timer and used pinball cabinets. 8)

Sega Sand Buggy

Driver reminds me a bit of actor Jimmy Stewart. :)
8bit
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Games