Goverments First Step In Total Gun Control

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

thomas_w_bowman wrote:(if you cannot posses firearms, you should also be unable to vote).

I seriously hope you're not serious there. I can't own a gun, I'm considered mentally disabled. I'd never pass the check system. That means that I shouldn't be able to vote on something I have an opinion on?

That's way too extreme. Telling me I lose my right to vote due to not qualifying for gun ownership is out of line. Or, for that matter, not wanting to own a gun in the first place.

Oh, and IF only gun owners are allowed to vote on gun control, how is that any better than government control? Where's the checks and balances our Constitution relies on? Hmm?
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:26 am

i believe you've taken that line out of context...just a thought.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Sorry fussnfeathers, but I do think that voting requires the same criteria as Gun Ownership.

If you feel that "mentally disabled" should be allowed to vote - why can't we trust those same people to posses firearms ?

From your coherence in postings I might suggest that the Government's definition of "mentally disabled" may be somewhat unreasonable.

I have a niece who is 25 years old, but autistic to the point that courts have judged her to be incapable of entering into contracts (or vote, or own a gun) - if one cannot be coherent and rational, I would prefer that they didn't vote either.

So consider again what you are saying exactly - is it possible that the check system is too harsh for gun ownership while it may be lax on voting qualifications ?

In Minnesota one does not even need an ID to vote, a utility bill will do - so I feel that there is perhaps too much scrutiny on gun ownership and not enough on Voting.

Also, don't forget - just because one MAY own a gun does NOT mean that they DO own one (or even support the Bill of Rights, except as it suits them). I honestly feel that violent criminals should not vote nor posses firearms. Gun ownership is ALWAYS optional in the USA (unlike Switzerland or Israel), not a requirement (besides the darned things aren't cheap - especially the ones I've got...).

And as far as balances in the Constitution - does that depend on what 'Infringe' means ? I also feel that waiting periods are infringement.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:24 pm

The government's definition of disabled varies from person to person. I'm perfectly competent in most things, I'm just amazingly bipolar. Trust me, as smart and coherent as I am, you really don't want me near any firearms during one of my wild mood swings. That's all that's needed to disqualify me from gun ownership. However, I am perfectly, and legally, competent to vote, and yes, I will vote for your side. That's the part you're missing. There are plenty of perfectly capable thought-wise that can't function well in society, and quite a few of us that don't like government control any better than you do. If anything, I hate it worse, I've gone from being a hard working, well-paid professional to begging for money for food. Assuming I finally get disability, my whole life is now in their hands. Trust me, I want them kept under as close a watch as possible, and not just over gun control.

I do agree that if a doctor and court find you incapable of rational, reasonable thought, and place you as a ward of the state, you shouldn't be able to vote. I don't think murderers in prison should be able to vote, either. Just don't forget about the rest of us who are incapacitated enough that we have limitations, but not the popular definition of drooling, lunatic mentally disabled.

Roach.......I probably did, but there aren't too many other lines in there. :P Just hit me at a bad time, I got some crap news a couple of hours beforehand about an issue similar to this, reading that I shouldn't be able to vote on a national issue made my blood boil for a minute.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cw4cam » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am

The idea that gun owners are not responsible is the same hype that the law makers tried to use when the various states started passing right to carry laws. It was said that blood would run in the streets. Blood is running in the streets, but not from legal gun owners. Just look at L.A, NYC, Chicago and others.
Now the cry is that there are too many illegal guns in those cities being imported from the south. B_ll S__t. Look at what the crime rate did in those states that have right to carry laws.
I also didn't know the ban to own automatic weapons had been lifted. Last time I checked the BATFE regulated automatic weapons. Perhaps there is confusion on automatic/semi-automatic? :?
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 am

Most of the cartel guns in Mexico from the USA were supplied to various factions by the CIA (M-16 and Grenade launchers mostly). The AK47's are also from military orders from China.

What amazes me is how tolerant the Government is about Voter fraud:
FBI report: ACORN 'poverty pimpin'' for Democrats
Agency documents Election Day confusion plot, multiple voting, ID theft, threats
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=164621

Yet that same Government is quick to generate reasons to restrict / register / "Infringe" Law-Abiding Citizen's right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Frankly, when gun ownership is readily allowed - an irresponsible gun owner is likely to get shot himself if using a gun irresponsibily.
An Armed society is a Polite society.

Another major voting related problem is voters who have no clue voting based on a TV ad (without knowing stuff like Senate Voting record for a Presidential candidate). Ignorance is potential disaster. Worst case: Voters who cannot read... For democracy to work, the Citizens must be educated.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:09 pm

"Government users of such weapons used them to murder millions.
Military Arms: much safer when in civilian hands."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 2.jpg.html

"Just how would rendering me defenseless protect you from violent criminals?"
http://www.a-human-right.com/s_how.jpg

"Guns change. The right to self-defense remains."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 8.jpg.html

"1. Criminals prefer vulnerable victims.
2. We are all vulnerable in some way.
3. We choose to be less vulnerable."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 3.jpg.html

"In any massacre, the Law-Abiding are violated twice.
The dead, by the psychos who kill them.
The living, by the politicians who try to disarm them for the next psycho."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... e.jpg.html

"Being helpless never saved anyone.
Fighting back has."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 2.jpg.html

"Sharp sticks are for primitives.
Evolve."
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 1.jpg.html

"Self-defense: a basic human right."
http://www.a-human-right.com/introduction.html

Secret bonus picture...
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technol ... 5.jpg.html
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cw4cam » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Suppose this is what they are talking about? Could be from Mexico

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 80995.html
"A pessimist sees a problem with an opportunity. an optimist sees an opportunity with a problem."
Winston Churchill

Civilization is invaded by barbarians every generation. (author unknown)
cw4cam
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:46 pm

cw4cam wrote: I also didn't know the ban to own automatic weapons had been lifted.

No confusion. I forget when, four years ago, maybe? Fully auto weapons became legal again. There was a fight over it, but in the end it made more sense to sell full auto rather than sell crippled semi-autos that folks would illegally (and most of the time improperly) modify back to full auto, making them very hard to track. As far as the guvment was concerned, you had a legal semi-auto, with no idea (and no reason to check) that you had fixed that little problem.

I'm actually doing a bit of digging. Once mom retires, if I get stuck in this hellhole of a town, I'll probably be living in a small apartment near downtown. Given my medical issues, I'll want at least a capable handgun around, we have enough druggies breaking in to local apartments and houses here to make it a worthwhile investment for me. It's either that or mount a gun rack to the back of a wheelchair, Army of Darkness style. 8) I just have to make sure I can actually do this in the first place, I;ve heard conflicting stories.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby skippyboy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:26 pm

LOL Fuss. But in all seriousness I really don't push a hand gun for home self defense. Yes I own a couple here in the states. 1 on the farm and 1 old 1873 Colt 45 Single Action Army which was my great grand fathers I keep in a safety deposit box. Love that old colt but the last time I fired it the bullets where $3.50 a piece. For the average person I would recommended a 12 gauge pump shoot gun with buckshot. Better yet get a regular sight Hasting slug barrel and run sabot slugs. No restrictions in most states for this purchase unless your a convicted felon.
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War