British Petroleum (BP)

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

British Petroleum (BP)

Postby c327 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Because of BP's oil spill and what it has done to the environment, I will never ever knowingly buy another BP product ever again during the remainder of my life, no matter what.

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongeneri ... Id=7046348
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 pm

In here they are one of the most expensive brands to begin with and with no extra quality/service to validate the price, wasn't buying there anyway...

I think BP will be taken over in the next 5-10 years, this is a blow they won't recover from.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:58 am

None the less - the tragic oil spill was clearly not intentional.
Obama gave an award for Safety to BP for the very Oil platform (Horizon) last year.
They do seem to be doing what they can to curtail the flow - even while the Government is talking about getting a "Boot on BP's throat" and investigating for criminal charges.
It could have happened to anyone - and if/when it happens to a Chinese, or Venesuelan platform, I'll bet that any response would likely be less urgent (if they don't just 'cut and run')...
If you really want to react to the oil spill by boycotting Products - boycott all Oil-based products (good luck with that), including Plastics, etc.

It is a very bad situation, and what the media is not so clear about is how much BP has already lost due to their Stock value (several Billion $ and counting). The rational move may be to try to figure the lowest price that the stock can go - and buy stock (which you may be able to trade for stock in whoever takes BP over later).

Anger will solve nothing.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Roach412 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:50 am

from my understanding of refining, if you buy gasoline (or any refined oil product for that matter) then you're still buying from BP. they're just a supplier of crude to the refineries...they just dump it into the process flow with everyone else's oil. if there's special "after treatments" like shell does, then they can sometimes literally, just be dumped into the vat of finished product waiting for trucks to pick it up.

granted, some companies do operate with their own refineries and delivery...but, it's never 100%.

even if a storefront lists "BP" on it, doesn't mean it's using fuel provided by BP. it could be Shell oil, or Mobile oil...you'll never know, and it doesn't matter. my dad used to drive gas delivery as a semi driver - most stores had no clue who actually provided the fuel, or where the trucks got it from or anything. a truck shows up and puts gas in your tanks...done deal.

you'd be just as good off to say you're not going to breathe air that was produced by genetically modified plants...it's practically impossible.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Just to point out, that the multinational company called BP is not known as British Petroleum and hasn't been for some time... I would tend to blame the company that produced the valve to prevent this sort of thing, but at the end of the day, blame is pointless, we should all work together to clear this mess up first and help prevent a wider environmental catastrophe....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Roach412 wrote:
even if a storefront lists "BP" on it, doesn't mean it's using fuel provided by BP. it could be Shell oil, or Mobile oil...you'll never know, and it doesn't matter.

-Roach

Spot on, in the U.K there are very few refineries. The Shell refinery at Stanlow supplies the entire North West of England and North Wales, Grangemouth supplies Scotland and so on. Of course, this makes a lot of sense, imagine supplying every Esso garage in Northern Scotland from the Fawley refinery on the south coast, an almost 2,000 mile round trip.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Same here. Like with our heating oil. Used to be a half dozen or so small companies, buying their own oil, covering their own small areas, and so on. Of course, the owners all knew each other, so every once in awhile, even though you had Keyser as your oil company, during a cold snap, you might have a Proctor Coal truch show up. They finally decided to essentially buy into each other, put all six companies under one umbrella. I used to get a kick out of that, working at the answering service. Somebody would call for oil during the day, and I'd get a call just after hours that they'd gotten a bill from Bixby's for their oil, and were really upset because they had Duffy's as their oil company.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Hundred Year War