Wireless adapter is working, but can't find wireless network

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wireless adapter is working, but can't find wireless network

Postby videobruce » Mon May 24, 2010 6:18 am

On a Dell Inspiration 1545 Laptop with a Broadcom 4312BG wireless chipset (I believe), the driver installed (stock from Dell), when I try to scan for available networks, nothing shows including mine that is three feet away. My other laptop in the same place sees four networks.

I'm running XP pro w/sp3,
No firewall or security software,
No encryption, passwords etc.,
Device manage shows good, the connection shows in Networks with no issue.

I originally tried the software included with the 'Dell' package which was a Intel program (??), but it couldn't find anything. Then I just tried the Windows program, but the same thing.

Other than a broken cable(s) to the internal antenna, or a outright
defective chipset, is there a Windows 'Service" if stopped would cause this to happen?
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Copper » Mon May 24, 2010 8:10 am

is the wireless switch on on the laptop
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 am

1545's don't have a wireless switch, you have to use the Fn and F2, but press just F2 to switch off and hold F2 down for about 30seconds to switch on... Seen a few flakey DELL wifi adaptors recently...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby videobruce » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 am

This isn't my machine. I forgot about the switch on the side of the Laptop, that is directly below the Express Card slot making you believe it is the release latch for that slot. It is the on/off for the Wireless NIC. There is NO top panel indication or any indication within Windows this is disabled other that the red 'X' through the double computer icon in the system tray which would be there anyway if there was no connection.

Nothing telling you it is disabled! On a scale of 1 to 10, this stupidity gets a 11! Apparently it serves double duty as it is also a release for that card slot. There is a LED, but it doesn't lite up at all, not that that would matter since you can't see it anyway.
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Networking