Goverments First Step In Total Gun Control

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Goverments First Step In Total Gun Control

Postby skippyboy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 am

With the majority of us Americans upset with the currant state of politics in this country, it didn't surprise me that the Feds raided a militia. While I do not agree with the Hutaree's beliefs, something just doesn't fell right with the whole situation. They may or may not of had a plan in effect to do the things there accused of. Which I don't agree with if it is true. What bothers me the most is who is next after they get all the militia's out of the way. I don't want to compare Obama to Hitler, but isn't this the sort of thing that happened before Adolf came to power in Germany? I look for more federal raids like this to happen in the coming year. If so God help us all.
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby CivilDissent » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 am

I agree.
"A mouth does not have to be open for words to be said or be spoken."

The Year the Greatest Nation on Earth was
Founded!

"Honor the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one and indivisible."
CivilDissent
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Spark » Thu May 20, 2010 11:13 pm

This Obama dude is one bad hombre.
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Fri May 21, 2010 12:05 am

script kiddie variant of the KKK if you ask me.

But anyway, I agree we need to keep a close eye on this "bust the militias" movement and make as much public noise if things get out of hand.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 am

I'm really on the fence on that one. I'm not a big fan of gun control (even though I don't own one, two, a dozen.......), but the now-dead bass player of one of our local bands here was part of a militia, and I see absolutely no need for regular citizens to own missle launchers, automatic weapons, a dozen handguns..........I'm actually surprised he never got caught. I'm on the fringes of the Northern Kingdom here, that sort of thing isn't all that uncommon. Protect your house, sure, organize a local civilian defense team to help out the understaffed and underpaid law enforcement (with their approval), sure. Once you start bringing in weaponry that's plainly illegal, and you have no training on the proper use of, you're crossing a line.

I am worried as to how far it will go, like I said, I don't want to see gun control locked down so tight that if I did want to buy a handgun, it'd be rendered useless by heavy-handed laws, or not be able to shoot a hyper-breeding groundhog colony on my property, or even defend myself and my family from harm, should it really be required.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 am

If the Government is truly of the People, for the People and by the People - if one has the right to Vote one should also have right to Keep and Bear Arms. If the Government fears armed citizens, the Government becomes suspect itself.

Then there's the need for a World Government to be able to control the people (by force, consider what is going on in Laos).
http://gunowners.org/op05042010ep.htm

It is irresponsible use of guns (or anything that might cause harm, for that matter) that must be tightly regulated.

Ant killer from your local building supply store can kill hundreds, perhaps thousands - no background check, no waiting period...

The real issue is responsibiliy of individuals.

Groups forming Militas need to be watched to be aware of what they are preparing so throughly to 'defend' - use of lethal force against any other Human is only appropiate when there is threat to maim or kill that needs to be stopped.

Any effort at confiscation (including building a database of gun owners) might well be percieved as a serious threat - I don't think that the UN can come up with enough troops to confiscate guns from America's gun owners (after all most UN troops are from the USA, and many ini US Armed forces will simply regard such orders as unlawful and not attack citizens to confiscate their guns.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri May 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Totally agree. We SHOULD have the right to have a reasonable amount of usable weapons. I'm leaving out collectors there, they're not buying new weapons for defense. I wasn't kidding about Curt's grenade launchers, though. He did have two, along with a few automatic weapons (before the ban was lifted), a dozen handguns, you name it. That's what needs to be watched. Hunting, home defense, even city-run "posses" in the original usage, to help out small town police forces in the event of something too big for the local constable to handle, that's all fine. It's useful, it can be helpful, all good stuff. I don't believe any one person, or group, needs the kind of firepower Curt had in his house. Loved the guy to death, was a great friend, but jeez.......what was the point of that? To defend his 10 acre "farm"?

Not arguing your point, just pointing out the obvious. We should have the right to bear arms, but we also have to protect folks from idiots that want to blow up a city block at any given time. Rights are rights, but you do have to have limits, unfortunately. It would be nice if everybody was responsible, but that's just not realistic.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 am

i'd say if you're responsible enough, what's the harm of somebody having a small armory? if they keep them serviced, locked away, safe and know's what they're doing with them it's no different from having any other "material possession" really.

maybe we should limit the number of large SUV's people own, or the size of their TVs...or anything for that matter.

whether there's a "point" to owning those weapons or not, they shouldn't be restricted just because they don't have an immediate use for them. if you can have 1 gun, you should be able to have 10, 20, or 100. putting caps on something is the beginning of a slippery slope and it would be nearly impossible to reverse the direction. who decides when you have "enough"? or you don't need a specific kind? do we get a new governmental committee on that?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 am

Lowest common denominator. If, IF, everybody were responsible, we wouldn't have these laws in the first place. That, and TV's can't blow up a bank. Unfortunately, for every responsible gun owner, there's a half dozen idiots that just want to blow crap up, don't have the brains to be responsible. Wasn't all that long ago we had a kid shot to death simply for crossing one of these guys' lawns one too many times, and I don't even live in a big city. We don't have one of those here. If you loosen restrictions for everybody, then you've got nightmares brewing in places like LA, Chicago, and NYC. We've already got enough on our hands with that now. I know a lot of you guys, and the great majority of folks living around me, live in rural, or semi-rural areas where sport shooting, hunting, various other gun-related sports are the norm, and people ARE taught responsibility, but that's not the case in the rest of the country.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:26 am

One can easily fabricate various WMD at home, using materials that would be silly to regulate (serving as Army EOD, I saw a Gymnasium blown away with a bomb made from Flour). Building or Farm supply outlets have items (besides the Ammonium Nitrate so popular with the media) that have potential for severe abuse (Propane, Bug Toxins, etc.).

To me, ignorant Voting can be more dangerous than WMD - and if you lose that right (to vote) you need to also have right to keep and bear arms - and vice versa (if you cannot posses firearms, you should also be unable to vote).
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War