Spam Zombie upsets isp

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Spam Zombie upsets isp

Postby sylvester » Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Had a laptop in with a problem, owner blamed his daughter, noticed a lot of network activity, so did the usual scans but it seemed pretty persistant, decided on a rebuild, 2 days later I received a call from my isp informing me I had a spam zombie on my network, to block port 25 along with a threat of blocking my connection if I didn't resolve the problem and reply within 24hrs with details of the action taken!

I emailed them actions taken and they replied that my connection would be monitored.........., rid the internet of another spam zombie and thats the thanks you get!
sylvester
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed May 12, 2010 1:43 am

hmmm that reminds me of not putting any external machine online before it is either known completely clean or reinstalled... thanks for the heads-up...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed May 12, 2010 7:03 am

or at least heavily locked down, so it can't do anything, especially if you're connecting it to your own network.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby sylvester » Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 pm

2 days and they were ready to block my connection, the last time I had speed issues it took 3 weeks to convince them after numerous speed test logs.

I can't understand why some pc owners don't have any av/malware software when you can download and use it for free.
sylvester
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

many times they do, but have never been shown how to properly set it up, get updates, and do regular scans. I've seen plenty of folks pay for Norton, or any other paid AV (yes, the free ones are just as good, if not better, but they've got that stigma of the first "free" scanners that dropped more viruses than they detected, and wound up not really being "free" anyway) turn the scanners off because they slowed their YouTube down, or didn't allow that one site they just HAD to see.......no updates + minimal scanning = disaster. I mean, condoms are great and all, but they don't do a darn bit of good if you never take them out of your wallet............
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security