Modem/Router Seems Hot

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Modem/Router Seems Hot

Postby Spark » Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 am

This concerns a Netgear ADSL 802.11n wireless Modem/Router Model DGN2000 2.4 GHz:

Using this brand modem/router because my laptop seems to be picky with routers, nothing else I tried will let my lappy connect to my own network.

The issue here is the bottom of the Modem/Router gets real hot, almost to the point of not being able to keep your hand on the bottom of it. I am concerned about having a fire with this.

My question is are these Modem/Routers supposed to get this hot? Do some run cooler than others. I wanted to use Linskys but my lappy would not connect to it even though I updated the internal wi-fi card as Sager said to do.

Is something wrong with this Netgear router, it's brand new and can be taken back if I have to.

Thanks.......
Spark
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 am

as long as you make sure it has room to breathe below (e.g. don't place it on carpet) it should be fine. Some of this el cheapo network gear is designed to function at room temperature, even if this means the gear itself goes pretty hot.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 am

My question is are these Modem/Routers supposed to get this hot

these use a very cheap voltage regulator such as 7805 type, which is simular to a large power transistor, an these run very hot, coupled with a cheap heatsink which can only be discribed as a scrape peace of metal.
and the ventulation of these is just about ok, so inesssance these router run hot, as long as air can circulate around the router it will be ok
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby c327 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:55 am

Copper wrote:
My question is are these Modem/Routers supposed to get this hot

these use a very cheap voltage regulator such as 7805 type, which is simular to a large power transistor, an these run very hot, coupled with a cheap heatsink which can only be discribed as a scrape peace of metal.
and the ventulation of these is just about ok, so inesssance these router run hot, as long as air can circulate around the router it will be ok

OK so what would be a good ADSL Modem/Router to get that wouldn't get this hot? The one I just got cost $100. That isn't exactly el cheapo ??
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Networking