Home network: Win 7 rig and XP SP3 rig. Cannot access Win7

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Home network: Win 7 rig and XP SP3 rig. Cannot access Win7

Postby OldPhatDad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Text too long for title block.

I'm trying to set up a home network with my new Windows 7 rig connected to my old XP SP3 rig. They're connected to the same router and everything seems to be fine. I can share the printer connected to the XP rig without issues, and can access the XP shared folders from the Win7 rig.

However, I cannot access the shared folders on the Win7 rig from the Win XP rig. I get the following message when I go into My Network Places and click on the User folder on the Win7 rig:

"\users is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

Of note: I've followed the instructions in This Guide and have used Work Network instead of Home Network since Homegroups don't work with non-Win7 computers. I've turned off password protected sharing. Double checked on the Win7 rig and the Users folder is shared.

Anyone know what I'm missing?
Antec Nine Hundred
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Mushkin Redlines 2 x2GB kit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896 MB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm

What you already did covers most faults. But check the Firewall settings on the Win 7 machine, it may be blocking the IP address or Intranet sites in a 'blanket' manner. Set the Firewall to "fully trust" specific IP addresses only.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OldPhatDad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, Karl. I don't know what the issue is. I'm using the Windows firewall, and checked the settings. Seems okay. It's set to the 'Home or Work (private) networks' setting.

Is there something else in there that I'm not seeing? I've very little knowledge of networking, so don't really know what I should be looking for with respect to network permissions.
Antec Nine Hundred
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:15 pm

"\users is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

That about says it in a nutshell. "Access denied" would be more the term.
Has been a problem with older Windows versions accessing files on newer versions, unless all are on the same "team" as far as Work group name and similar IP addresses.
If you can see and work files on the older system from Windows 7, then you know the network is up and running. If you have sharing on for the Windows 7 system, can you see the drives and folders from the "My Network Places" (as looking into a mirror)? If not, then sharing is not properly set. If you trust your Firewall and anti-virus, then you can set shares for 'full access' without passwords.

About anti-virus and Firewall programs: Use only one version of each, can be a combo single program or separate as to brand and type. But if you have two Firewall programs active, even two anti-virus programs active, you may find you are behind a very stubborn wall.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OldPhatDad » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah, I have only one firewall and antivirus running.

On the XP machine, if I look in 'My Network Places', I can see the Win7 rig's User folder. But when I click on it, I get that message.

I have a friend popping over tomorrow that knows some networking, so I'll see if he can figure this out.
Antec Nine Hundred
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby OldPhatDad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Okay, got it solved. Turns out it was my own stupidity. For posterity, here's the issue:

I was trying to share my Users folder on the Win7 rig, but you cannot share that folder. So once I clued in to my error, I shared the Public subfolder within Users and all is well. Just a brain fart due to not being familiar with the new OS.

Anyway, hopefully this may help others in a similar situation. Thanks for the help though, Karl.
Antec Nine Hundred
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks, but I did not solve your problem.. only suggested what I had experienced. Now we know the cause.
New OS version, new rules. But your findings may help others with a similar problem.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm

merely pointing people in the right direction will get you compliments as well at times Karl. you may not be used to that but this is why so many people visit this forum. Credit is given where credit is due. No question is too stupid to ask or too hard to be eventually solved, be it with a common effort.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Actually, that jogged my memory as well. I knew HOW to do it at one point, but that was way back when I got the RC. I couldn't for the life of me remember how to do it now. :?

One more thanks, Karl. You saved the day.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 am

Sadly... hasn't solved my similar problem. I've been all round the internet and help files... and it's the usual problem.

I can access the XP computers from the 7 Home premium laptop. I can see the shared files on the XP computers - but I get Access denied when I try to open the folder.

It's on the same workgroup.
It's set to Work rather than Home.
The printer on one of the XP computers works on the laptop.
It's not part of a Homegroup.
As far as I can tell the Firewall is happy... everything that needs to be checked is checked for Private [rather than public or domain]

When I go into users my account has a little padlock symbol next to it...

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Networking