Vacum Cleaner

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Vacum Cleaner

Postby AngelLaHash » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 am

Any one tried to use as Vacum cleaning or a Dyson

If such good at sucking, then it can draw the heat off
also means that must be cool on the other side of the suckion power

guess the other thing is to use the case as a heat sink to draw the heat off quicker with a large surface area

Shocked they aint designed CPU/GPU with built in Ni to keep it cool
AngelLaHash
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 pm

I think nobody except Skreap ever used a vacuum cleaner for cooling because they are waaaay to noisy...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:11 pm

That, and they're so good at suction. You'd pull every piece of dust and pet hair in the room right into the front of the case.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Use of a vacuum cleaner to 'suck off the heat' from a CPU is very inefficient.. and noisy. Plus the vacuum motor would produce a high level of EFI, possibly causing interference to the computer's stability if too close.
The only positive method would be water-cooling, more efficient and very quiet.. but with a lot of extra hardware.
Yes, the heat sink may be more efficient if air were pulled away from it, rather than air blown down on it. The design of most CPU coolers allows the warm air to be drawn back to the fan, causing somewhat elevated operating temps. If the heat sink fan could be flipped upside down, it may be more effective.
A number of OEM brands use a large heat sink on the CPU, with a shroud over that to a rear case fan. Some use the evaporative cooling method, but then a large heat sink is needed, plus those "pipes" must be oriented properly to be effective.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

You're way too thorough somtimes, Karl. :P
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Nonetheless, this kind of overinformation can sometimes be very inpirational to people. I think we all know the plastic bottle/duct tape connection between the buildings AC and Skreap's system... If not, do a search on the forums 8)
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am

This is a good topic to provoke thought about - I had a friend who couldn't understand why his system ran so hot - it had 4 fans (all intake...). Yeah - I flipped around two of his fans and >presto< the case ran a lot cooler.

I prefer to place exaust fans 'higher' on the case, and intake fans near the bottom because heat likes to rise anyway.

It might be worthwhile to mention that one should keep fans from spinning if using vaccum to clean the fan (to keep from 'spinning the fan to death'), a finger between blades works for me (of course the PC's off when I clean it).
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 am

lower intake fans = use good dust filters!
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 pm

My family's Tristar vacuum's hose can be inserted into the exhaust. Not necessairly the best thing for cooling, but very effective at getting dust out.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby Twisty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 am

I did do this for a bit for a laugh, and the performance was very impressive. If properly set up with the other side of the heatsink drawing air in from outside the case i can't see any other air-cooled setup beating it without spending mega money - then again this should not be too surprising given that you basically attaching a 1kW fan to your heatsink!

The bad side is it is a 1kW fan! Hence uses lots of power and creates lots of noise. It is total overkill, with air cooling you hit a wall as the heatsink temperature never goes below room temperature - you only gain you a few tenths of a degree lower temperatures over a good heat sink paired up with a couple of 120mm fans.

A refrigeration, or peltier system will get much lower CPU temps whilst using less energy.

A less extreme and more practical solution is to use a centrifugal type bathroom fan.

Positives
  1. Very high CFM directed in a small area.
  2. Fan on exhaust side means heat from the fan is not passed into the computer
  3. Low capital cost

Negatives
  1. High energy cost
  2. Noisy
  3. Not as effective as water cooling, refrideration or peltiers.
  4. Negative pressure in case = dust bunnies

"Shocked they aint designed CPU/GPU with built in Ni to keep it cool"
I would love to give some feedback on this but don't know exactly what you mean, Ni=Nickel? I thought they already do nickel plate the slugs, but building it into the substrates would perform worse than copper as an interconnect.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks