one more case where a law on guns won't work

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

one more case where a law on guns won't work

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:40 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 am

Stupidity is not able to be Leglislated, but it has consequences.

Now watch as someone works to 'regulate' Wii controllers (more stupidity...).
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 am

That particular type of stupidity is already legislated. Weapons are required to be locked up, in most places with a trigger guard as well, ammunition in a seperate place, also locked. Idiot left it on a table, near the computer his child plays games on, loaded.

Fail.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:23 am

This is a very unfortunate accident for sure. This irresponsible stupid gun owner should be held responsible for this in some way.

Not every state has the same firearm laws, they do in fact vary drastically in some states.

It is not correct in the State of New Jersey nor in many other states that the hand gun be unloaded and locked with the ammunition kept separate from the weapon when in the home. When the hand gun is in a vehicle that can be a different story in some states.

Some states require a premise permit (New York for one) in order to keep a loaded hand gun on the premise. In New Jersey no permit is required to own or keep a loaded or unloaded hand gun in the home. A permit to purchase is required both in New York & New Jersey.

My hand gun is kept in my home, unlocked and fully loaded and close by but not in the open. There is no other persons in my home other than my wife and I and she can shoot it as well as I can.

If my hand gun was locked and unloaded in my home it would be useless to me for immediate use. It's like having insurance, better to have it than not have it.

When people visit it is unloaded and put away.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:That particular type of stupidity is already legislated. Weapons are required to be locked up, in most places with a trigger guard as well, ammunition in a seperate place, also locked. Idiot left it on a table, near the computer his child plays games on, loaded.

Fail.

In what lib-tard fantasy land? I can guaran-goddam-tee you not one word of what you wrote is true in Tennessee. At this instant, there are no fewer than six loaded firearms left lying loose about my house, eight if you include the revolver I keep in the glovebox of my car and the rifle that stays in the trunk. And every last one is legally owned, lawfully stored ...and carried.

The fact that this unfortunate's home defense weapon was a .380 gives considerable insight as to the cause of this tragedy.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Where would you get the idea I'm liberal? I'm far from it, BTW.

I keep forgetting about the south, I've never really been there much. No, you don't need a permit for much (Vermont doesn't either, we can evey carry concealed here, BUT if it's not directly under my control, the gun and ammon have to be stored seperately, local laws)

Both of us can get nailed if we can't show "proper defense" (that's what its called up here, anyway) and AFAIK, you can't carry your weapons without a permit to. Neither of us can carry a handgun if we're drunk. Forget about taking it to the bar, buddy.

That's beside the point. Do you leave any of those guns within reach of a child and a video game that just happens to have a gun shaped controller? If you do.........hm. Good luck with that.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:45 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Where would you get the idea I'm liberal? I'm far from it, BTW.

I keep forgetting about the south, I've never really been there much. No, you don't need a permit for much (Vermont doesn't either, we can evey carry concealed here, BUT if it's not directly under my control, the gun and ammon have to be stored seperately, local laws)

Both of us can get nailed if we can't show "proper defense" (that's what its called up here, anyway) and AFAIK, you can't carry your weapons without a permit to. Neither of us can carry a handgun if we're drunk. Forget about taking it to the bar, buddy.

That's beside the point. Do you leave any of those guns within reach of a child and a video game that just happens to have a gun shaped controller? If you do.........hm. Good luck with that.

What makes you think this is a Southern thing? I doubt there's ten states total that have any sort of nanny state law governing home storage of firearms and/or ammunition. Open carry is legal in Arizona, no permit required (except in the town of Tombstone, which has a prohibition on going armed dating back to Wyatt Earp that's maintained for its significance in pop culture rather than out of any compelling need). And you don't need any pretense of "proper defense", just a gun, a hip to carry it on and the desire to do so. Arizona, you might have noted, is not in the South. And you obviously have no idea how liberal the gun laws are in the Dakotas and the Northern Rockies states. If you see a pick-up truck in Montana or Wyoming that doesn't have a gun in the back window, it can only mean someone has broken in and stolen it (probably earlier that day, otherwise it already would be replaced).
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby c327 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

North. south, east or west has nothing to do with firearm laws. Under my bed is a loaded mini 14 in 223 with 500 rounds in the closet to back it up.

Not far away is a loaded 357 colt and I will be damed if I will cave to any person who enters my house that I know does not belong there. By law I am not required to retreat from a threat and can use deadly force if needed to stop the threat, that is the law in New Jersey. Gun registration is voluntary but you do need a purchase permit to buy a hand gun, not a big deal to get.

Can't have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle here unless you have a special license.

States vary drastically and it's not a red neck thingy, it's all over. The thing is to be aware of the laws and abide by them. Make sure you know when you are allowed to use deadly force and not find out the hard way after you make a big mistake. And last but not least something that is called responsible ownership of a deadly weapon. The idiot that left a loaded firearm with in reach of a child should be a felony violation as far as I'm concerned and he or she should resting in jail for having allowed such a thing to happen.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:49 pm

c327 wrote:States vary drastically and it's not a red neck thingy, it's all over. The thing is to be aware of the laws and abide by them. Make sure you know when you are allowed to use deadly force and not find out the hard way after you make a big mistake. And last but not least something that is called responsible ownership of a deadly weapon. The idiot that left a loaded firearm with in reach of a child should be a felony violation as far as I'm concerned and he or she should resting in jail for having allowed such a thing to happen.

That's my point. I personally have no issue with firearms, own as many as you like. I've had a few in the past, myself. Aside from the laws, there's also common sense, which was obviously on the back burner in this case. I had a nice 9mm when my kids were young, but I'd be damned if I left it fully loaded where my three year old could reach it, even though there were no laws preventing me from doing just that.

I know its not a North-South issue, East-West, Middle, Upper, Lower, whatever. Us Vermonters are just quieter about our ownership. Well, except for the morons I've caught in my back yard at 3am looking for deer.......by shining a light in my bedroom window........

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:20 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:Well, except for the morons I've caught in my back yard at 3am looking for deer.......by shining a light in my bedroom window........

Possibly drunk as can be... :?
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War