The Old Republic MMO

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby zooofer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I started playing Star wars Galaxies when it first launched, it was great for about a year and then Sony absolutley ruined it. I dream of the glory days of Galaxies. I can't wait to try The Old Republic. I hear that it will be voice only, if so, bummer, I like to type.
zooofer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 pm

You must've been a Jedi, if one year from launch was your "game ruined" date. :P Really, I was fine with that, it actually made the game easier. Hologrinding was a bear. Aurellia missions were much better, much more challenging, and fun for the most part. Even the combat upgrade wasn't too awful, took some getting used to, but not the disaster people said it was. I do play on a fan-run emulator server, but TBH, I really don't like the old-school stuff anymore. Running all the way across Tat for a 2k mission is a royal pain. Especially when some loony that happened to be there when your target spawned killed your mission for you............I got turned off by the NGE, THAT made it a totally new game, and I can completely understand that mood. Kinda sucked to work for two years to get Jedi through all the changes, get that respect and such, just to have SOE turn it into a base starting profession every 12 year old could get.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby zooofer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:34 pm

No, I didn't get to be a "real" Jedi, only a master bounty hunder (actually a pretty weak profession). But latter after the NGE, I had some veteren rewards to try differnt professions, of course I had to try Jedi. It was, in my opinion, the weakest profession. I did dig using my lightsabre even if it was a joke. I used to write macros to allow my "tune" to hunt small game while I was at work, 10xp at a time. But then you had to kill stuff at your level or above to get xp. They removed everything that I liked about the game.
zooofer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm

heh...........we must not have been on the same server. BH was pretty awesome. Of course, I only found one Jedi ever able to beat me. That was the most fun out of all the profs. Although, Commando with a flamethrower was pretty awesome.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Deputy1515 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 pm

The biggest problem with Jedi in SWG was the time period. Jedi were simply not common... In fact only a handful were left in the time period between episode 4 and 5 (When Galaxies was to be taking place) It was something that SOE was unable to fully come to grips with. It was the whole reason that getting a Jedi slot was sooo difficult. The Combat Upgrade (CU) was not the end of SWG for me... it simply changed some of the mechanics. The NGE was the end of SWG for me.

All that being said; KoTOR will play alot more like WoW than original SWG, No game will actually go back to that sandbox type play and be successful. I am still looking forward to KoTOR being THE game for me. Almost fanboi levels of anticipation.
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:23 am

Yeah, it was a bit overbalanced. :o Oh well......they had to face the fact that people wanted the Star Wars they knew from the first three movies, AND have their lightsaber too. Nevermind that as far as the movies went, the only Jedi left by that point were Yoda and Kenobi. Maybe one or two others that managed to make it into hiding. Actually, was quite a common complaint, everybody expected that prof to be a WIN button, and it wasn't............unless you had a brain. The one Jedi I couldn't beat? Dear God.......weak profession or not, he thought fast, knew how to use is skills. He's actually the reason I got so darn good at BH, we'd spend days just duelling. I got close, once, up top in the guild hall, he made a mistake I spotted at just the right time, and drilled him to the wall, but that was very, very rare for him.

Meh. Crybabies. Learn to play the game, and you'll do well. One of our Jedi, Nick, was essential to our Necrosis group, and he never actually did any fighting beyond some self defense, and a whack at the end of the mission. All he did was burst run down the trail, draw off the mobs, and we'd stroll down and pick them off from behind if we needed to. Totally non-combat essential, although he could hold his own, but without his mix of skill, we couldn't have done that mission as accurately and steadily as we did. I just saw too many people that wanted to be "the best" all by their lonesome, getting mad when they needed to have a group. Mmm. Might I suggest KoTR?

Sorry. 7am pre med up too early rant. PDT_Armataz_01_03

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Atris » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about The Old Republic. Firstly, I'm not big on the way the game is looking. The people have a strange sort of style to them. Secondly, it despairs me to hear that they're abandoning Knights of the Old Republic. There are so many loose ends I'd like them to tie up for those games (let's face it -- they're amazing), and the simple hints towards it that it seems like will be in TOR just don't feel like enough.

The webcomic is (was) very impressive. Despite my reservations, I have an open-mind about this game and would love to see where it ends up.
Atris
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Deputy1515 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:10 am

I am sure I have heard BioWare say that they have not abandoned the KoTOR series of single player RPG's. They have not ruled out a KoTOR 3.

The artistic style of the character models was off putting for me too initially. But as I have begun to watch the game play videos it seems to make more sense and I have become accustomed to it. It is not as cartoony as WoW but not as realistic as Age of Conan. For this game I think this is the best choice.
Deputy1515
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby marco!1234 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:13 am

I'm still not sure about it... It's probably just because of being a WoW fan. Looks fun, I'm just not sure if it'll have as great amount of diversity as other MMO's, most notably WoW.

Reading reviews and comments etc. Does anyone think it could actually takeover WoW and make WoW kind of old news? If you get my drift? :P
marco!1234
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat May 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Not a chance. I think it'll do well, it's got the KoTR mix to it, and it's Bioware, rather than another Sony disaster. Not that SWG couldn't have been awesome, in some ways it was better than WoW. Bad management and two huge shifts in gameplay killed that game, not the game itself. WoW is just too entrenched, and it's got the whole Warcraft saga behind it. Given that it's the same age, 7+ years, and it's still growing, I doubt anything will manage to knock that game off the pedestal anytime soon.

Ya never know, though.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Games