Can't connect to main computer

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Can't connect to main computer

Postby oneof5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 am

My PC was running the Windows 7 Pro RC edition and bought a laptop that has XP Pro and was able to connect the laptop to the main computer, no problem. The Rc edition expired so we bought the same Windows 7 Pro, had to set up the connection again, went trough the same steps, no connection, turned off the firewalls on both computers, no connection. When I go to My Network Places on the laptop(XP) my computer is the only listed in the Under Local Network. Under The Internet, my PC is showing. While still in My Network Places, I look in View Workgroup computers, THERE my PC is listed, when I click on Home-PC, I have a popup window, "Connect to Home PC" it asks for a username and password. I have used every combination of possibilities that I know of. I have tried my username and password on both computers, I have used the network name "workgroup" along with the password under networks that the Windows 7 gave me when I set up the network on that computer. Nothing works. I have made sure both networks names are the same, downloaded a supposed fix from Windows website, and now I am about to pull my hair out. The actual program that I am trying to access from my laptop (which has the client install) to the program on my PC errors this message "Can not establish a valid database connection. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. The server was not found or accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that the SQL server is configured to allow remote connections' Any help?
oneof5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 pm

When you bring up the "My Network Places", can you see files and folders on that system itself? If not, then you don't have proper sharing set up. You may also need TCP/IP added, plus NETBEUI.
With sharing, use the default "C$" or similar or use a more common plain "C" share (as for the primary drive). Same for other drives. Give full access rights, but set your Firewall to allow Intranet connections for specific IP addresses. This helps keep intruders out.
The later versions of Windows are more restrictive as to access rights than earlier versions. Security is the reason.
If using a hub or router between computers, standard Cat 5e cables are good. But when connecting directly between computers without a hub or router, you need a crossover-type cable. A standard cable won't work.
This WIKI link describes the crossover cable design. You can easily check if a LAN cable is standard or crossover by holding the connector ends side-by-side. If the colors are identical in both plugs, then it is a standard cable. If the data lead wire colors are opposite, then it is a crossover cable.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Still a no go

Postby oneof5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 am

When I go to My Network Places, on the laptop with XP, under the heading of "Local Network", I only see the laptop, under the heading "The Internet" heading I see the printer, the program that I am trying to access, and the Home PC. When I click on the program that I am trying to access it errors that I don't have permission to access that program, yadayada. When I look at SQL configuration manager, the TCP/IP is enabled. As far as NETBEIU, I looked up how to do that and I did it, and it still didn't work. With this statement, "With sharing, use the default "C$" or similar or use a more common plain "C" share (as for the primary drive). Same for other drives." I am not sure what you mean with this or what to do.

Also I am using a router for connection between the two computers, not direct cables.
Thanks for your help and replies.
oneof5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby oneof5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14 am

Also, let me add that I stopped the Windows Firewall, I am running Avast. On the original install of this program of the client install on the laptop, I was told by the tech support of this program to disable Windows Firewall because Avast has a good one already running. Am I safe with just Avast running? :?
oneof5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:28 am

http://www.trickyways.com/2009/08/how-t ... indows-xp/

Try that.

As for the firewall, if you trust Avast, that's fine. That's what I do, I'm behind a router anyway, which has its own firewall. Its generally a good idea to turn off Windows Firewall if you have another software firewall, the two can conflict with each other.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby oneof5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:31 pm

I had done all of that already, it still isn't letting me view the program from the client install.
oneof5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Shoulldn't make a difference, but the public RC of Windows 7 wasn't Professional, it was Ultimate.

I mangaged filesharing fine beween XP Home and Win 7 Ultimate. Try setting to "Work Group" instead of "Home Group". That disables the password, but is functionally the same as a Home Group.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby oneof5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm

I don't know, but we have Windows 7 Pro now and it is set on Workgroup, it automatically was set to that. So here is the kicker now, we installed the Client Version of this program on another computer on the network that is running Windows 7 Pro and I am getting the same message. First when we installed the program on that computer we received an invalid database connection error and was given the option to retry, abort or ignore. We chose ignore and the program installed but when trying to run the program it still errors with an invalid database connection error.
oneof5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Does the program have an option to set the database to "local only"?

The one other thing I can think of offhand is I had to install MSSQL Express 2005 for something, I forget what. Part of Office, I think. Needed an update for the database to work properly with Windows 7. Check your Windows Updates, under optional. Not much was updated between July and October, time between RTM release and retail release.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking