Question about WiMax

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question about WiMax

Postby pgiustino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

I have a wireless internet connection provided by this company Clear. My down is 6Mb/s or so, but my average ping is poopoo at 110ms.

So I got a call from them asking if I want to upgrade to some "uncapped" speed and a wireless usb stick for $10 more per month. I asked what the heck is that supposed to mean, and the rep says it just means I get speeds based on how fast the network is at the time. She said average is 16Mb/s down.

My issue isn't my download rates. My issue is ping. Since this is a WiMax provider, I just wanted to know if this upgrade would do anything to improve my ping? Or is this just the inherent limitation of WiMax, and it won't get any better than what I'm getting atm?

Anyone certain about this?
MSI K8t Neo Fis2r
pgiustino
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Still the same connection, same lag, same ping. Not gonna help.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Clearwire. Co-developers of the WiMax setup with Sprint. Sprint actually manages the network. Nah, you're not going to see much of a response difference, there's not a whole lot of hardware differences there over a regular 3G network. You're getting near top speeds for an EV-DO rev A network. You're not really going to see much of a ping difference, you're still bouncing off the same towers, through mostly the same hardware.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby pgiustino » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am

Ya, I figured as much. The rep didn't even know what ping was... It was just a sly way of getting me to renew my contract and void my lifetime price agreement.

Btw, if anyone is reading this wondering if they should use Clearwire's wimax, don't. You can't get rid of the stupid modem's NAT restrictions and that blows for a gamer like me. I also read they can cap you anytime they feel. Hasn't happened to me, but I haven't been downloading movies either.
MSI K8t Neo Fis2r
pgiustino
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:02 am

pgiustino wrote: I also read they can cap you anytime they feel. Hasn't happened to me, but I haven't been downloading movies either.

Yes, and no. Regular DSL or cable ISP's can also cap, or throttle generally speaking, any time they feel like it as well, but they have to notify you in writing before doing so. Sprint, in particular, does it halfway right now, with EVDO Rev A. Yes, I have unlimited data on my cell plan, its in my contract that that's what I get. On my phone. If I want to use my phone as a modem for a laptop, I have to pay for a $50 a month data plan that caps me at 5GB. I'm not too awfully bent out of shape about that, home computers and laptops simply use much more data transfer than a cell phone. My Pre, for example, has used 120MB so far this billing period, I generally max out at 500MB, a touch more sometimes, with nightly OTA backups, random web usage, tiny screen TV at night if I can't sleep but don't want to get out of bed, stuff like that. My computer will pull 500MB in three or four days, as active as I am.

If anything, mobile phone users would be the ones getting a bandwidth cap, not home users. They'd be pushing 4G service that direction, and it would be rather hard to sell if you only got 5GB a month. ISPs that cap right now, like Comcast, put it at a 250GB level, which is really really hard to hit for the majority of home users. I used to monitor my data usage when I was actively playing SWG, I think I maxed out one month at 100GB total, playing that game six hours a night or more, plus streaming movies, consistent web surfing, stuff like that. I doubt you'd have an issue with that.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking