Global Warming---Cooling---MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Was nearly 50 here today, people were driving around with their convertible tops down, lots of folks out on long dog walks, if I had working legs, I woulda been out puttering on the mountain bike.

It'd be nice if politicians and the like would take a look back at recorded history, we've gone through several warming/cooling cycles over the last ten centuries, all wound up fine. There's also plentiful evidence that the ice caps are growing, not shrinking. That, and the Earth is not alone in this, there's reports that Venus is also getting hotter, and you certainly can't blame THAT on Toyota. Well. I guess you probably could, if you tried hard enough.

I just don't get what global warming folks want. An immediate, no-driving, no industrial, no heating society, back to horse and buggy, books instead of instantly available knowledge (flawed, yes, but how many of these guys would give up their internet or network TV tomorrow?) wood fired stoves in the living room, jobs.......oh yeah, we forgot. Half of our job market relies on greenhouse gas producing pollution. 19% percent unemployment? Nah. Let's devastate the economy even more, then hope everybody retrains to whole new career fields. That don't exist.

Sorry, I just get annoyed by all this. Its one thing to spout off all the stats in the world, but I have YET to see one defender of global warming give up their "destructive" ways to further their cause. Put up or shut up.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:58 am

fussnfeathers:
I just don't get what global warming folks want.

That's easy - Money. Even schemes where 'developed' Nations shovel Billions to 'under-developed' Nations - the folks actually 'handling' the money are grabbing their cut. Al Gore's made Millions selling 'Carbon Credits', which are bought and sold to assure that pollution remains more 'constant' (as long as the 'sinners' pay for 'absolution').

At least Obama has been fairly honest about that:
Obama energy plan implodes
Obama admitted that electricity rates for every consumer would "necessarily skyrocket" under his plan.
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=127203
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 am

Yeah, I know. The rich come up with the rules, the poor pay the price. Always been that way, I don't really expect a change any time soon. It's already hard enough when taxes and fines have tripled the cost of living, lets just tax the hell out of people that were forced to buy the products somebody else decided were "good for them" not all that long ago.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 am

Apparently it's not only about Money...
Bill Gates: Use vaccines to lower population
Billionaire advocates curbing CO2 by reducing earth's inhabitants
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=127346

There are two ways to look at 'Success'
1) Assume that % of folks succeeding is finite or at least unchanging, this leads to 'redistribution of wealth' thought and failure of economys.
2) Assume that the more folks working to succeed will actually increase % of folks that can succeed. This leads to 'Prosperity' and growth of potential for prosperity.

I don't accept the idea that reducing population will improve prosperity...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 am

Well, he's somewhat right. Vermont used to be one of those states where welfare was stupid easy to get if you had kids (forget it if you don't have kids, though, you can't get help even if you have no money for food and can prove it), and the more kids you have, the more money you get. I've personally seen welfare families with seven, eight kids all a year apart, just to get money out of the system. That changed a few years back, now you only get increases in benefits up to two children, nothing for any more kids. Plus all the third world countries where birth control is either too expensive, or not available. Fix that, you lower the rate of new humans being produced (sorry, that sounded like an assembly line) reducing Co2 emmissions over time. I don't believe in mandatory sterilization or anything of the sort, but population control in areas where we've got kids being produced like puppies...........

Given the fact that Gates is the world's biggest nerd, I'm somewhat impressed that that line came out as coherent as it did. :P

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War