Connecting 2 PCs to ADSL via Ethernet - 3way microfilters???

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Connecting 2 PCs to ADSL via Ethernet - 3way microfilters???

Postby MrG » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 am

Asking on behalf of a friend...

How do I connect 2 PC's to ADSL via Ethernet on the same phone socket? Is there such thing as a 3way microfilter? I've not seen any microfilters allowing more than one ADSL device connection.

Basically my friend is living in a small flat/apartment and only has a single phone line and only the master socket with no additional phone-line sockets. He wants to connect both his desktop and laptop to his ADSL via Ethernet as he cannot go wireless - the wireless in his laptop is knackered and his desktop doesn't support wireless. I know he could use a wireless USB dongle to achieve wireless but he prefers Ethernet.

So, can he connect to devices to ADSL via a single phone socket or is he out of luck?

Thanks for any help.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 am

You need a router. Not a wireless one but a wired one.

Now the question is if you want to buy a combined modem/router or just a router if he already has the modem. Note, a wireless modem/router maybe cheaper, all you need to do is disable the wireless, it will have 4 network ports where you can connect your computers through normal ethernet cabling.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:22 am

el cheapo wired-only router:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833156001

wireless, reputable maker:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124321

see what I mean?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 am

Have to use a router or router/modem on a single jack in any case, even if he had 20 seperate phone jacks. ISP will only allow one connecting IP. :P

You don't need a filter on the DSL line between the wall and the modem, that goes between the wall and any phones, to prevent interference from noisy phone signals. Need one on each phone.

Have him check with his ISP. I know mine is willing to swap out a plain modem with a combo modem/router (which gives you support from the ISP if something doesn't work) for a small price. I got mine by yelling, I called when I got here to find out if DSL was available here, it was, for XX a month with a free combo unit, said thanks, checked the bank balance, called the next day, offer had expired and switched to a discounted three months and no router. After said yelling, they wound up giving me both deals. :P
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking