Farm boy a little ticked off today.

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Farm boy a little ticked off today.

Postby skippyboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Read this today from my Richmond Va. news feeds. Running a farm is like any other business, you either grow or die. Do it wrong and you fail. Regardless this should not be a race issue. Lots of farms went down in the United States do to mismanagement during this time frame. If this was my home state of Iowa they would laugh the case out of court.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/News/ ... /#comments

Cry me a river. Farming has it's good periods and bad periods. you just have to be smart enough to get trough the bad. Are Family farm went trough it to, but we all have enough sense to have another career to fall back on during hard times. Dad was in law enforcement, Uncle was in underground utilities, Bother a cabinet maker, me underground communications engineer tech. Wish we could come up with a reason to get some of are losses back. Hows the saying go "only in America"
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Tell me about it. Black farmers got $1 bil, white farmers got Willie Nelson. Not sure who got screwed there. :?
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

White America is getting screwed daily. Not just the white farmers, but everyone. All because Affirmative Action is so screwed up.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Racism is still a hot potato....

But

Did notice 'The Black Farmers Union'... How racist is that, and its legal too...

We have similar things over here like 'The black police Officers association' etc.etc.....

If you want to stamp out discrimination, stop all this bull and ALL work together.....

Then again, I am living in cloud cuckoo land.... Dribble....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:21 am

LOL I know........how long ago was it that a particular college (forget which one) had a couple of "black only" groups, and that was perfectly fine, but when some kids started, and the school approved, a "white only" group for the same thing, the school got sued and lost. I know, I know.....white only has negative connotations, but as far as I'm concerned, if you can have one limited membership group, then you should be able to have another.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby skippyboy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks fuss LOL I needed that. Sent this article off to my father and uncle, and as you can imagine there not to happy about this. During the 80's and early 90's there was a down turn in the grain commodities do to the rapid expansion of over seas markets, mainly Brazil jumped into corn and soybeans big time. About the same thing happened to cotton. So the market adjusted it's self with the surplus. During this period if you planted anything under 500 acres you lost money or barely broke even. Sad but true. Our profits where cut by a little over two thirds of what they normally were. And yes we did get some government pick program money but it wasn't crap. What saved us and most of the upper Midwest larger farms west of the Mississippi, was and still is the rise in the use of corn sweetener. If it wasn't for our first Pepsi (Pepsco) contract in 1988 we might have went under to. At the moment were locked into a 10 year contract ( starts this year again and every 0 year we negotiate again ) at a fairly good price. Our beans are still on the open market but the price is back to were it should be. The boom years are back.

What were mad about is this just is not a black problem, it happened to every grain, cotton, and peanut farmer in the United States. The banks were not telling them no not because of being black. It was because there was not enough land or assets to cover the loans. Lots of small and medium farms didn't plan ahead during this time and were always going to the bank to borrow, hoping to make a profit to pay them back. You know banks the had to start saying no to everyone because of to many default farming loans. With the government programs (sorry about it) they were just to small. Farming is a high risk venture to began with. You either have it together or you lose everything. World markets change. Adapt or die that's all there is to it in any business.
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Yep. I'm a little outdated on field farming, we moved from corn country to dairy farm country in '86, but I do remember the difficulty, even then. We didn't see much of it, family farms in central Illinois are generally well over 500 acres. God, all the summers manually detassling corn.......dairy farming isn't much easier, as much as all the Vermont cheese would have you to believe otherwise.

I guess it irritates me, since we have a wider ethnic diversity here. Everybody here works their tails off, betters themselves, and help each other out, even us pale-ass white boys. Except......guess who. They want it all served to them, no effort needed.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ripshod » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Mr T wrote:Did notice 'The Black Farmers Union'... How racist is that, and its legal too...

We have similar things over here like 'The black police Officers association' etc.etc.....

If you want to stamp out discrimination, stop all this bull and ALL work together.....

Here, here! ](*,)
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to The Hundred Year War