Is there a wireless monitor avail in the U.S. ?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is there a wireless monitor avail in the U.S. ?

Postby EdDean53917 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:10 am

I know this is the wrong forum but I would like to get some suggestions from anyone. So to let every one know what I want to accomplish. Is I want to move my mom into the 21st century or beyond. With in my very limited budget. I would like to keep the pc downstairs in the cool basement (stays about 55 F yr round) in Wisconsin and then have the monitor ,keyboard and mouse in the office room upstairs. She is in her mid to late 80s and I am currently staying with her to keep tabs. I want the office to be quite and open. I am pretty sure that the wireless mouse,keyboard and printer will reach to the pc downstairs but I have not come across any wireless monitor yet . I shop newegg and tigerdirect mostly. Does any one know if they even make a wireless monitor or possibly a adapter of some type. (I could get into water cooling but I really want to keep the costs down). Also I have thought of running the wires through the ceiling of the basement or the floor of the office but thought to myself what a ugly mess that would look like. Also having wireless we will have some free movement . Any help would be great. Thankx
EdDean53917
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Like this...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 pm

That adapter will work.......on a small screen, or large-ish CRT. It's low resolution (for example, a 19" LCD is 1280x1024). Mouse and keyboard......doubtful. The best you're going to get with a wireless mouse/keyboard combo realistically is about 25 feet, or a bit less, line-of-sight. Stick a floor in there, the signal won't get through. Most keyboards/mice, even the best ones, have a hard time making it across the desk if there's too much in the way.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:27 pm

I know of stuff that uses ethernet, if you can put a set of AP in between that would work. But that would blow the budget I fear...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm

There's network KVM's as well.......budget thing again, tho. And drilling holes in walls for the cable.

Is this a matter of keeping things as simple as possible? If the tower setup is too much, maybe a 1U rackmount screwed under the desk with a good cooler would be a better idea. Tuck the keyboard/mouse receiver out of sight, she'd never know the box itself was there. You'd have to find the right cooler for the processor, but that's not a big deal. If its micro ATX, InWin makes a neat little case that's pretty nice, not too expensive...... http://www.in-win.us/products_pccase_se ... ries_id=42 ........it's quite a bit smaller than it looks.

Just a passing thought, too, since you're looking for simple......grab Stardock's Object Desktop suite. DesktopX is pretty nifty, especially if you're using XP. You can set up an easy to use, easy to see kinda limited desktop, with big, zooming icons that light up when you mouse over them, put in widgets that might be useful to her, stuff like that. Takes a little work to set up, but it's really useful for kids and older folks. Takes out that guessing game over the pile of little icons, and can eliminate the need for a start menu for awhile, until she gets used to everything. Actually, it's the software that most movie and TV studios used for much of the first half of this decade for their "super computer" interfaces. Cheap, too. Just crossed my mind on the way to bed, but worth looking at. www.stardock.com . Grab Object Dock as well, if you want, works the same as Apple's docklet thingy, you can stick programs to that, as well, and find a theme you like that'll work well for her.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

There's network KVM's as well.......budget thing again, tho.

That is what I meant, including not being budget.

And drilling holes in walls for the cable.

Not if you use APs in between or even something like Devolo Powerline Adapters.
http://www.devolo.co.uk/
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 am

AP's, maybe...........assuming it's a 2.4ghz keyboard and mouse, he'd actually need to solder an antenna into the keyboard to make it work right. I'm not aware of any ready to buy range extenders specifically for keyboards/mice.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am

err not what I meant. this:

mouse/keyboard --- KVM --- ethernet --- AP
+++++++++++
AP --- ethernet --- KVM --- system/monitor

is what I mean, you can swap out the AP for devolo's.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Yeah............remember those brainless days I mention? I crammed one into that five minute post. :roll:

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 am

No problem there, the result I made a simple drawing thus explaining stuff even better.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking