The Fundamental Transformation of America

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby tedybear » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:
evasive wrote:A whole lot of people that had not been hit by this before. Being in war is always costing money, correct me if I'm wrong but has the US been NOT at war at any given time after WW2?

Not world-wide war, no, but we weren't actually involved much in WW2 before Pearl Harbor. Vietnam actually lasted considerably longer than our involvement in WW2, 15 years to 6 years. Vietnam was never officially considered a "war" though, so in that extent, you're correct. The current war hasn't been a technical war since Hussein was overthrown, along with the government, it's been a downgraded "conflict" ever since.

I wasn't meaning expense as a monetary term, though. I was meaning more in the terms of rights and fairness being railroaded by popular causes, governmentalization of the private sector (see my post today) despite the negative impact it has on the general population, things like that. It takes a brave man to change things, but it takes a true leader to change them for the common good. He's not doing that.

I've spent much time pounding one simple fact home: When you're already in the hole? STOP DIGGING!!

Problem with this idiot is? (and many many more in DC on both sides) They view everything as a means to an end--and that end is increasing their power and getting re-elected. I've had a long look at quite a bit of the political bribery that went down in the last round of 'talks' regarding health care....and that's all it is! Bribe the detractors with free stuff for their voters! So when they get back to pandering to their base? They can say "Look at all the $$$ I brought to YOU!".

Problem is? It's not the governments money!! It comes out of EVERYONE'S pocket at one time or another.

Spending your way to wealth? Just does not work! Get out of the way of the companies and small business owners---They'll hire more people, who in turn pay taxes INTO the system....Cut expenses and the fat--And make it easier for companies to operate.

There endith the rant.

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:05 am

/shrug Governments have never had money. It all comes from the working public, in one form or another. It all boils down to fair or unfair, how much the government takes, and what its used for. Wars have been paid for by the people since war was invented.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am

evasive wrote:Stop whining, each country gets the government it deserves, if you didn't talk with any of the people that voted for him because you were too busy putting your own candidate in front and plainly deny the other even existed, what do you expect?

Oh and there's a world outside America, if you don't like it there, get out...

Too true. Bolshevik Hussein Obama's corruption is just a reflection of his constituents.

And just because you don't like it here, you're not guaranteed to like it there either. I've lived in quite a few "theres" and have concluded that a bad America is generally better than a good anywhere else.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am

Maybe Denmark is better......dunno. I'll let you know.

The nice thing about American politics is stuff like this can change, and change very quickly. Just because it's a law today, doesn't mean it won't be overturned next year. Obama isn't doing anything different, or groundbreaking, no matter what his supporters say.......it's all been tried before, and failed badly. It'll all reverse soon enough.

I do like all the speeches about "change" from a man that took three months to decide what color to "change" his bedroom to, and more than six months to pick a name for his dog.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

evasive wrote:A whole lot of people that had not been hit by this before. Being in war is always costing money, correct me if I'm wrong but has the US been NOT at war at any given time after WW2?

You're wrong.

It's been 65 years since WWII ended. The Korean war was 3 years long, 1950-1953. The US was an active participant in Vietnam for 11 years, 1963-1974. Grenada was 52 days, October 25 – December 15, 1983. The US invasion of Panama lasted 43 days, December 20, 1989 – January 31, 1990. GW1 was six months long, 2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991.

OEF began October 7, 2001 and is in its ninth year. OIF began March 20, 2003 and is nearing its seventh anniversary.

Even counting OIF and OEF separately, that only adds up to 31 years, less than half the interval since the US drove the Nazis out of der Nederlanden.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War