Boy busted for bringing Lego gun to school

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Boy busted for bringing Lego gun to school

Postby AmEv » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 pm

(thought that this might've been too hot for the Cooler)

link

I understand that you shouldn't have weapons at school, but this is a little ridiculous.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:14 pm

](*,) WTH is going on in schools these days? All this crap from a small unrealistic plastic toy.

These officials couldn't handle a real crisis if their life depended on it. The boys family should sue the teacher, principal, and everyone involved in this mess.

The boy is lucky he didn't bring a small unrealistic plastic G.I. JOE toy. They'd have in Guantanamo Bay in irons for sure.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:46 am

Armed response by police has increased massively in the UK... Kids messing with toy guns to people shooting legitimately on private land have had a full armed response served on them with helicopters the lot and at a huge expense... But you cannot always tell the difference between real and a toy, plus with a lot of home made zip guns and other 'sneaky' ones arriving in from eastern European countries, it is hardly a surprise some people 'over react'.... :roll:
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 am

Full-sized, or nearly full-sized, yeah. In low-light situations, it's hard to tell if what's pointed at you is a squirt gun spray-painted black, or a real gun, and there's such a high risk in cities of being shot that cops can't take the risk anymore. But yeah, this one is silly. I suppose its all on how the zero-tolerance rule is written, if you get caught with one of those old Swiss Army mini-tools that has the 1" knife in it (that wasn't even sharp when new) you get expelled. They said nothing resembling a weapon, and they meant NOTHING, even a small toy. You can get working, single-shot guns that aren't much bigger than two inches, so.......
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:09 am

Zero Tolerence is just plain dumb. There are ALWAYS shades of grey.

As said in the article : "A lack of common sense is the issue.".

These schools should teach REAL Gun safety as well as marksmanship.

I actually promoted (and for awhile it was actually working) a marksmanship program in my local High School (.22 cal rifles), till some parents 'shot it down'.

But if it's about teaching 4th graders how to have sex - suddenly parents have much less influence...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:34 am

Well..........here, most kids learn to field-strip a gun by age five, so they can go hunting with dad and his uncles, and will likely have several hunting trophies by the time he gets his driver's license. Same kid, though, has no clue he can get a girl pregnant by having sex by the time he gets that drivers license. Just more good ol' boy American Freedom...guns and violence are perfectly acceptable, but God forbid you mention boobs.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 am

fussnfeathers wrote:Well..........here, most kids learn to field-strip a gun by age five, so they can go hunting with dad and his uncles...
...Just more good ol' boy American Freedom...guns and violence are perfectly acceptable, but God forbid you mention boobs.

same dad and uncle should be teaching the kid about life, as well as the death they are endearing for. it's a parenting balance that should be addressed...and i don't think it has anything to do with this or any other school.

but, that's my $0.02

i think it's funny that the parents are jumping from one stereotypical situation into another - by jumping all over the school's "overreaction" and thinking about suing them...a blatent "overreaction" on their part.

the country is going to hell in a handbasket...and the idiots are pouring out of the woodwork; both parties in this story, the school administration as well as the parents.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Omg....before i read the article I thought it was maybe a life size looking one. But a 2 inch gun?!?! come on...
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 am

"Pocket pistols" are small, easily concealed, inexpensive semiauto handguns in .22, .25, .32 and .380 calibers. Though often maligned as too puny for serious self-defense, millions of Americans carry these guns and have used them successfully to stop violent assaults. Why are they considered excellent self-defense weapons? Their small size and hammerless design enable them to be easily concealed and carried so they are immediately accessible in an emergency, putting firepower instantly in your hands when itas needed most. This practical book cuts right to the chase and recommends the best pistols on the market today as well as the best ammunition for them. It then gets into the real-world issues of how to carry a concealed pocket pistol, how to shoot it under stress and how to deal with malfunctions quickly and efficiently.

I can see the school's point, somewhat. The pistols above aren't much bigger, and can kill if used properly. If they allow someone to bring in a toy gun, then they have to modify their policy to allow toy-like guns as well. Gun enthusiasts consider those guns toys as well, suited for a woman to carry in her purse and maybe fend off an attacker.

That's a GI Joe gun, btw, not Lego. I had a bunch of those. :P

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby skippyboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 am

I read about this last week. Where do we draw than line on this subject? I read the article and his friend he was playing Lego's with had a axe for his man. Why wasn't he sent home? All it amounted to was a very liberal principle saw an opening to enforce his views on firearms. I could understand a squirt gun or something a little more but come on man. But I do agree guns should not be brought to school.

Fortunately things are changing with the liberal views in certain parts of the United States with two very good school programs that are catching that are outdoor sporting activities. With education and safety being enforced.

One is archery. Before we left it was stating to catch on big in the Virginia middle schools and high schools. All three of mine were involved with this with a little persuasion from there father. It was compliantly sponsored by the DNR and schools. So far there has been no protests even though the do tell the kids about hunting with a bow.

The other is the Scholastic Clay Target Program. Last year my oldest daughter signed up at school which compliantly shocked me. I was very impressed with the program and how well it was received at her high school in Richmond Va. Shotguns were not provided or allowed at school but any student that did sign up did have access form certain parents like me. My daughter shared with a girl about her size, my old Ithaca 410 English skeet gun. Another older boy with single mother used my Browning over and under. Hopefully another Dad steps in and helps these two since we have moved away. Gun safety was thought. Plus the rules on grades were the same as any other sport activity. Donations and fund raisers went very well for the students that could not afford it. ( About $600 per season per shooter) So far this has not been opposed.

Looks like the liberal extremists now finally have some competition in the schools.
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War