Lg House Boy (bmw2 part of my loggin name) driving me nuts!!

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Lg House Boy (bmw2 part of my loggin name) driving me nuts!!

Postby mom2bmw2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am

We have a large house. We have the Router and the wireless router in the garage a make shift office. My son's room is on the other side of the house in the front. He got an X box 360 for X mast and has not been able to get on line with it, well once.. He has 1 of those wireless gaming routers to pick up the signal, I have a laptop in the room right in front of his and I get a low signal.
I've tried getting an N router but that did not a thing

Help he is Killing me slowly :oops:
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 am

How big a house, how many walls, how thick is the construction........802.11b/g is at most 100 feet or so indoors, but if you have, say, four walls, with an electrical line through each wall, More Spam Vomit of appliances.....the realistic range is more like 50 feet, tops. 802.11n is better, depending on the router, but still not much better than maybe 100 feet in an average house. If his receiver for his game console isn't wireless n-capable, using an n-only router is useless, his console won't even see the signal.

It's probably just too far, since you get a low signal with one less wall and electrical noise between you and the router. You can try a signal extender, there's both basic unpowered extenders, basically just a passive repeater that bounces the signal a bit farther, or active repeaters that take the signal from the router and boost the power level to get you farther. Those run about $90, if you look around. Linksys makes a good one. Otherwise, you could look into powerline networking. Plugs into the wall near the router, and transmits the signal to a receiver plugged into another wall outlet on the other side of the house. MrT knows more about that, I think.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 am

Otherwise, you could look into powerline networking. Plugs into the wall near the router, and transmits the signal to a receiver plugged into another wall outlet on the other side of the house. MrT knows more about that, I think.
Absolutely best option... Check these out... Not a fan of Dlink, Netgear or Belkin, but they do the job... I am using Devolo, but they are UK based... No failures yet...

Pro's..

no wifi drop outs
compatible with all operating systems, inc XBOX360, PS3 etc...
no wires everywhere

cons
none.... :D (well, don't try any router/bios updates with them)..

Get the 200Mbps ones esp for gaming, plu directly into socket, no adapters or surge protectors.... Thats about it...

I hope this is the solution
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Those wireless routers and hubs work in a frequency band used by other devices.. such as cell phones, remote-control devices and other.. including navigational services. See this WIKI link. There is a nice page link there for the U.S. Radio Spectrum Chart.
If the receiver cannot lock onto the desired signal, it may lock onto an interference signal.. and not register properly.
Then too, foil-faced insulation in walls can severely reduce signal levels, as can metallic plumbing, heating ducts and wiring. The transmitter should be placed as high as possible for best overall connections, with more than 2 ft. of free space between it and any metallic reflecting device. If the receiver is behind a computer, it would be shielded from the signal, unless facing it.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mom2bmw2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:51 pm

how about this
Hawking Wireless-G 54Mpbs Range Extender
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 am

That'd work. Make sure when you set it up to choose YOUR network, otherwise you'll be boosting your neighbor. Likewise, if you have multiple accessible networks (I can spot usually five or six active in my range here) make sure your son's receiver is connected to the same network as the extender, otherwise you'll have no improvement.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mom2bmw2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:09 am

Yea yea he'll be so excited I'll order today!! They have an N one too and I just read something some where that x box is now picking up?? But he does not have the 90$ x box wireless adapter he has a linkis g gaming one?? Humm 8)
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:28 am

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... etadapter/

That's really what he needs. A router, like you have in the garage, can work with some tweaking, but it's not the best idea. Same with PCs, or anything else that uses wireless. A wireless card or adapter like the XBox one works without any manual configuration, an access point type router requires setting IP gateway addresses to what your access point router in the garage is set to to send a signal.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking