It seems to work for China...

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

It seems to work for China...

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:19 am

Obama's totalitarian plans for the Net
Phil Elmore warns of the 'overlords at the FCC'
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=123991

And if you think it will END with the Net... if such control can be implemented for the Web, why not for all Media as well ?

Indeed we could be on the way to defining thoughtcrime.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I know........people worry so much about us conservatives that lean toward Republican, but it's mostly the liberals that try to squash everybody's opinions in favor of their own.

Anyway, I'm not surprised at the talk of legislation on the internet. We limit and license cars, we implement ways to track mail, we block offensive content on TV and radio (if you even have independent radio anymore, I live in Clear Channel land, that's all we get here.....same thing, different station number) why not the 'net? Heck, even the media is pushed by the government anymore, but that's more fear of being shut down for saying something not popular. Our little newspaper here is so useless now its not funny, and it used to be very good.

In a way, I'd welcome some regulation. Not the way China does it, but.....I dunno. Quite a bit of what I see goes far beyond free expression, right into the realms of downright insulting, uneducated, and dangerous, especially with the general opinion that "if it's in print, it must be right". Far too many people have no clue that somebody with a little skill can toss up a website, write whatever they want, take quotes out of context, sew them together, totally ignore the bad sides, and publish it as educated stuff. I don't care for Obama's ideas, kinda odd for somebody considered so progressive and change-oriented to keep endorsing ideas that kill independent thought. But, I do know my sister and her husband and relatives, and that's what they want........don't like what they do? Shut up, you don't have the right to argue. And we'll keep jamming it down your throat until you give up.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:36 am

Yep, sounds familiar. Regulation in a way is good but the problem is it will never filter out the exreme stuff 100%...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:05 am

Just look at Utube trying to regulate it's own content (especially copyright license violations), it's not easy.

Censorship itself is either dated or an exercise in 'whatever someone thinks we "should" see/read/etc.

Personally, I think it's offensive when a TV Station plugs it's upcoming shows in the bottom 1/3 of the screen during a movie or especially when there's any action that 'deserves' the full screen (I can put up with the channel's logo typically on bottom right of the pic).

It's nearly certain that whatever control is being sought will:
1) Cost more
2) Degrade bandwidth
3) Collect more information than can be processed
4) Be used in the future less responsibily than it is initially.

For example, do you have any doubt what the hand gesture is when the back of someone's hand is 'blurred' ?

At best it's a bad joke, but the worst is that we'll pay for whatever they want and it may well end up like 'clear channel' having us all watch the 'Government Approved' propeganda while the media wonders why ratings and ad revenues drop...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to The Hundred Year War