Two routers in a system...

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Two routers in a system...

Postby ~PJ~ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 am

Really sorry - I ought to know how to do this by now, but it's been a loooong time and I can't find my crib sheet.

Scenario;
The broadband comes into the church office with a wireless modem [Tiscali], connects to the office computer wirelessly, and then goes out on a heavy duty external cable right round the back of the church and up into the Youth Loft. There was no way we could get the wireless signal that far - believe me, we tried... Currently, there are six computers up there running [wired] on a very elderly 8 port hub.
Now - it works fine. But - it's not very manouevrable, and the wires get in a right mess even when they're not being moved [don't they always].

What I would like to do is to put a wireless switch / hub / router or whatever up there which gets the main signal from the current master cable and then sends it wirelessly to all the computers. I vaguely remember that it can cause problems with ip addresses, and I also vaguely remember that there's a fairly specific trick to getting one network to run two routers in series - or at least there was the only time I had to do it, which was several years ago.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Most of the computers already have wireless cards in from the previous abortive attempt, so what I need to know is what gadget to get and how to do it!

TIA

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:38 pm

An Access Point
or
a wireless router with an Ethernet port on its WAN side (you would use such a thing with a cable modem back in the days).

If you decide for the router all you need to remember is the systems on the first router may have trouble accessing the stuff on the secondary (new) router but since there are only workstations there (no servers) that should not be a problem.

If you set the new router to get it's outside WAN address through DHCP all will be hunky-dory.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for replying.

Well, I have an Access point floating around my workshop somewhere. Bought it as a signal booster but it didn't work - haven't tried it again since we put the cabling in. I have to say I really struggled with the instruction manual anyway [poor translation...]

The office computer won't need to access the upstairs computers and vice versa, so that's no problem - but don't I have to go for a fixed address on the second router or something?? Or am I getting mixed up???

Would I then just set up the wireless network upstairs as I would a single router system?

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Copper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 am

Installing a Two Router Network
Installing a router to work as the second one on a home network requires special configuration. Do the following on the second router to ensure it (and the devices attached) function properly:
1. Connect as local device or bridge - If connecting the second router via Ethernet cable, plug it into one of the LAN ports on the first router. If connecting the second router wirelessly, ensure the second router is set for client mode. Note that some home wireless routers do not support client mode; these must be connected by cable. Check your router documentation for details on its client mode configuration support.

2. Check / change IP address - Most home network routers use a default IP address setting. Often, these default IP addresses will not work in a two router environment. Check the second router's IP address value and reset it if necessary to work within the valid address range of the first router (and to not conflict with any other device on the network).

3. Disable DHCP - To avoid IP address conflicts between all of the devices on the home network, only one of your two routers should assign addresses via DHCP. All mainstream routers provide an option to disable DHCP as part of the router's configuration screens.

"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:15 am

Fantastic - I think I can understand that!!
May not be this week as we're having some electrical work done in the YL - but will see what happens.
Thanks so much.

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:24 am

Nearly a year later... I have achieved wireless in the Youth Loft!!! The one thing that balked me for a while was working out that it's a separate SSID to the downstairs system - because the access point is wired to it... Doh.
Thanks for the advice peeps :-)

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking