Is there an easy install/config method?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is there an easy install/config method?

Postby Ghen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 am

I have a batch of computers to put the folding program on.. I like it to run as a service. What's the easiest way to copy the setup and install a service on each PC?

I was thinking of running -configonly on one machine, and then copying one machine to another and then running the program and then rebooting. Think that will work?

Is there any way of setting up the service in a batch file instead of using the folding config?

All of the automated setups I've found on the internet have been old versions so I'm hesitant to use them.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 pm

The Console version of F@H would be best. But it has to be installed on each machine. Not a big project.. at most 5~6 minutes each. This enables each process to connect and get a machine ID and user ID from Stanford for tracking. You could safely run two instances on each machine, as long as each is in a separate folder, with its unique name.. such as F@H1 or F@H2.
I have two instances on my P4E/3.2Ghz system, and they are activated by desktop links. You could add auto-start links to the Startup part of the main menu, if desired. If you want to monitor the systems, then the Electron Microscope would do nicely.
A note on those setups.. they would need to be connected to the Web at all times, to automatically submit WUs when done and to get new work.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ghen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 am

Yeah, they will be. But I guess the console version config is as easy as it gets. I was hoping for a copy/paste with a one shot batch file for service creation ;) No big deal really.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:25 pm

You could, realistically, install on one system.. then before use the first time, copy the folder complete. That can be then copied to each system, then only the setup for operation need be done.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Yes, console is best. There are batch utilities available for mass installation of FAH , never used them myself though.

Here's what I do, download latest console version. Using a file manager make directories in target machines, then copy the download into each folder. Then I go to each machine and make a shortcut on the desktop adding any flags, then run them, they will auto config on first run. The option you suggested should also work if I'm seeing what you're thinking. Only problem is if you have a dual/quad core which need to have the machine ID's set.

If you want to monitor the systems, then the Electron Microscope would do nicely.

Well, this is still the best monitor out there but unfortunately its no longer supported so you have to update the database by hand. Also it doesn't support many of the newer cores or GPU, SMP ,etc. I use FAHSpy these days but FAHMon or HFM.Net or alternatives worth looking at.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team