avast antivirus

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

avast antivirus

Postby argueritha » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:44 pm

How well does Avast Antivirus work for you? I have been using Avast Antivirus along with widows defender. So far Avast has caught every trojan and spyware, but I was wondering if it really is as good as they claim... Has anyone ever had any problems with Avast Antivirus?
Last edited by argueritha on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argueritha
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:09 am

LOL WAY wrong forum bud. This needs to move to the General Discussion forum.

Been using it for a year, haven't had a problem........but isn't that the point of an AV? You're doing something wrong if you're getting viruses it can't handle for some reason.......change your surfing habit.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ghen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 am

avast! usually gets high marks in anti-virus testing. I mainly follow PCMag's tests because they seem to do the most realistic testing.

That being said, the free program has daily popups saying the program has been updated, this made me want to uninstall the product. I want everything to be silent. Your mileage may vary.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Avast is a good program, so too is AVG and others. But those 'free' programs don't give total protection.
Link scanners, rootkit scanners, Email scanners.. plus other features, may only be included in subscribed-to programs.
Whatever the level of protection, do a full system scan at least daily.
My AVG programming is auto-updated several times daily.. without a whimper or notice. But when a major update comes down, then I may have to reboot.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm

I used AVG right up until the newest program update (well, newest-ish, last year sometime), and it turned into a resource hog. Slowed my poor mom's rig down so bad she could barely check email, what with the multiple redundant scanners running. Typical cycle, I expect Avast will wind up doing the same thing...........there used to be a day when Norton was good, too.

Good, simple AV, malware scanner, and common sense is all you really need. Avast as a good range of basics, IM, network, web, access, P2P, email......all works without interfering with each other.

Even the best, top rated paid AV suite with every protection known to man isn't gonna help if you click a link, then ignore the warning and click through.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dve83 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:18 am

Agreed. AVG turned out to be pretty resource hungry in later versions. Used avast for about a year, only had problems with regard to over optimistic detections - sometimes it would see certain files as infected when in fact the weren't - other than that no problems (except for the interface :-) ). Now using Kaspersky - around R50 ($5) for 1 year license, must have been a special or something for OEM cd- havent seen or heard from it since installation - very happy.
-dve83- Folding for 33258
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2,AMD Athlon X2 5200+, 6GB DDR2-800, Seagate 250GB 7200 RPM, Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM,
460W Coolermaster PSU, Windows 7

"Perhaps it's not paranoia. Perhaps it's just finesse." - dve83
dve83
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Copper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:46 am

I have been using Avast Antivirus along with widows defender. So far Avast has caught every trojan and spyware

i thinks that answers the question
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security