RSS Feed

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

RSS Feed

Postby scottla » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:11 pm

Do we have one of these for either the home page or the forums? I don't see any links to subscribe...
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:09 pm

No we dont have one at this time... Seems like a good thought though....

hmmmm, How about it Evan??
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:01 pm

I run an feed reader for sites, blogs and stores I like so I know what's new without having to visit first and see manually. From a traffic standpoint, it definitely brings me back to those sites more often.

From a forums perspective, the little alert feature in the feed reader could be put to use handily I would think. Almost like an IM!
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby EmilyB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:06 am

:? RSS? :?
EmilyB

Postby Toby B. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 am

EmilyB wrote::? RSS? :?

RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites, including major news sites like Wired, news-oriented community sites like Slashdot, and personal weblogs. But it's not just for news. Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:34 am

As an example, check out KlipFolio from Serence.

http://www.klipfarm.com

They have a great example of a forum feed that might be pretty interest for mobo. Basically, it feeds a running string of the new posts to their forum a little "bug" that sits on the desktop (maybe 20X40 pixels or so). You can set an alarm, like IM, for when a new post comes in, or you can just mouse over it periodically to see what's new.

The only thing the klip shows on your desktop in static state is a tiny "logo" for the content and a number -- basically the number of items in the queue.

Incidently, this little app is also good for email alerts w/o having your client open and taking up room. You can also take the NewEgg specials feed, but I can't imagine anyone here would be interested in that...
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby scottla » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 pm

If one of you can get an RSS feed up on the site, I can post a "KLIP" for the forum onto KlipFarm. That way, members could download the Klip and see all new posts as they are posted without having to log on. This doesn't hurt traffic, by the way; it actually boosts it as you are essentially pushing the forum posts to the desktop and encouraging people to read and respond.

Incidently, if there's a news and/or reviews RSS feed posts, we can put up a seperate .klip for that as well.

I started to look into it, but I think it has to be posted on the site to work. The easiest way is to use a CMS for the site like WordPress or Textpattern as they generate RSS scripts automatically. My guess is phpBB deals in this as well because I've seen other forums powered by them with integrated RSS and/or XML feeds.

Keep me posted on what can get done... :)
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby wtfmom » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:19 am

scottla wrote:Keep me posted on what can get done... :)

Did this get done? If so, please paste the feed here. Thx in advance! :)
wtfmom
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:03 pm

At this moment I have no idea who has been online recently e.g. forum admins/webmaster...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Slik » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 am

This is the only RSS feed I could find, there aren't any other categories just an all in one it seems.
motherboards [dot] org/rss [dot] php
Slik
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site