Disappearing Network PCs on Windows 7 'puter

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Disappearing Network PCs on Windows 7 'puter

Postby Mark H » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 am

Network consists of 2 wired xp desktops, 1 wireless Vista lappy, 1 wireless W7 lappy.

Issue: on the W7 lappy, the other 3 PCs come and go when I open the network folder. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. The other PCs can see and connect to the W7 all the time.

I have remote desktop set up on the XP Pro desktop(receive), and can connect even though it's not showing.

It may be coincidence, but after accessing the internet, all PC's show up :? Thoughts?
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Ensure all computers are in the same "network" group name, with the identical IP address for the first 3 groups (123.456.789.xxx) Your Firewall may be blocking access to other units. Ensure that their IP address is "fully trusted". But sometimes when a power glitch upsets the stability of those network units, all you need do is shut all down, then restart anew. Powering all off for about a minute will reset all defaults and stability. Same happens to the TV, microwave or other electronic gadget.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 pm

*Update*

I ran the network setup wizard on both XP PC's and now the Win7 pc sees all 4.........go figure
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 am

netbios stuff... one of the reasons it is being phased out, this was M$'s attempt at a networking protocol :lol:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking