Liquid Cooling concerns

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Liquid Cooling concerns

Postby adamhodge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 pm

I've got a ThermalTake Armor LCS. This full size tower came with the radiator built in. However Thermatake does not have a water block adapter for my 1156 Intel board. I will not be seriously overclocking this system (Turboboost if possible). Since the adapter is not ready I've decided to build out the box anyway...My question is should I totally remove the radiator OR - leave it in and connect the 2 front side fans and use them. In the future I can decide to install the lcs.
adamhodge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Ideally, you would want to remove the radiator and buy one of the HDD cages with a fan mounted to it. Under $10, if I remember right. Otherwise, you'll be fine just running the fans through the radiator for the time being. I thought about doing the same thing with my Kandalf LCS, but that one has the rad mounted in the door, would be a pain to remove. Should be the same rad design as mine, though, and it does allow plenty of air to pass through.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby adamhodge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I left it on there. I need to plug a couple drives in to it. Less to do if I connect the liquid. Maybe it collects some dust though? Prob needs blown out but all of it does I guess.
adamhodge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Well, if you live in a dusty room, then yeah, it'll collect dust. Mine never really did, and that was constant use from the day that case was released for reviewers. Still clean as a whistle, and not really that much dust on the grille cover either.

Probably want to make sure the top fan is hooked up, though. Once you do get the bracket, then it's not really needed, but running just on air, might be a good idea to have all the case fans running. Noisy, though. TT makes a great case, and the fans are still purring like kittens, just really big, loud kittens.

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby adamhodge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:13 pm

thanks for the advice. First time building one out. learned some lessons already. worried about the memory and heat.
adamhodge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm

You've got plenty of ventilation there, and the added room in the tower will aid that. TBH, when I built out this system, with a Q9550 and 8800GTX, I stuck with a relatively inexpensive Ultra mid-tower I had lying around (actually a darn nice case, if you can get past a couple of small niggles) and I just run a single balanced 120mm rear fan, not super high flow, but not too noisy either. Either extreme is kinda useless.......high airflow is nice, but VERY noisy. And silent fans have a low airflow rating, so you need more, kinda defeating the purpose of silent fans in the first place.

When you do go to water, the pump is good, should be the same high volume pump I have, but I did blow one. TT was very, very quick, though, actually sent me a new one before I had the old one out of the case and boxed up. That pump's been fine for, what, two years or more, so I have no complaints. Not really a spectacular cooling setup, though, don't know if the block is too thick, or what.......flow rate is good, it is large volume/low flow which is what you want, but it never really did an earthshattering job. Primarily why I chose not to reuse the case this time (that and having that monster lurking over me on the desk was getting a little stifling).

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to System Modification