The Mother Board
CSS question (why don't my graphics show in IE?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evasive wrote:
I see, you have a load of plugins running in FF and are surprised it's not really up to scratch? Try running a vanilla version (without plugins).

Actually, that's pretty much the whole list. I find they don't make it particularly unresponsive compared to a vanilla install (it's measurable, yes, but only to non-human intelligencies to whom fractions of a second make a different - it's as irrelevant as the 128 vs 192kbps MP3 debate to somebody whose ears operate at a naturally low bitrate). I've tested it both ways. The real difference lies in the core of Firefox itself between 3.0 and 3.5. Besides, I'd rather have a fractional difference in response times due to extensions, and no adverts/popups/spam/viruses/XSS, thankyouverymuch.

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was merely trying to see if there was any difference, sometimes a bad plugin can kill your performance. As in: trying to be helpful.

System error, strike any user to continue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help noted and appreciated, but it's definitely an issue with the 3.5.x branch itself - as many others have noted on blogs and in reviews. I'm not sure where Mozilla are headed with this, which is a shame. For a while there, FF was the clear winner in the field. I hope they don't get carried away with bloat.

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: