Intel Core i7 965EE, i7 940, i7 920 Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Intel Core i7 965EE, i7 940, i7 920 Review

Postby ollE » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm

ollE
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby MrG » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:17 am

Why do reviews like this always restrict themselves to "apples to apples" comparisons i.e. one i7 to another?

I've just invested in a new Core 2 system and would like to know what performance advantages (benchmarks) I am missing by not building an i7 system, but this review doesn't help me with that.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

apples to apples

Postby GEOD » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:05 pm

i know this is a belated answer ,but,the author has given excellent specs on the i7 CPU (the best explanation and specs I've seen to this late date). If you know the specs of the CPU you purchased it should be quite simple to extrapolate the information you seek. Socket 775 CPUs are now obsolete or at least inferior.
GEOD
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: apples to apples

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:38 pm

GEOD wrote:i know this is a belated answer ,but,the author has given excellent specs on the i7 CPU (the best explanation and specs I've seen to this late date). If you know the specs of the CPU you purchased it should be quite simple to extrapolate the information you seek. Socket 775 CPUs are now obsolete or at least inferior.

I wouldn't go quite that far, LGA775 will be around for awhile yet while the kinks are worked out of the i5/i7 platform, and for at least that time period the new stuff will be primarily performance-oriented user picks. I don't see an i7 platform for laptops for quite awhile yet, the power draw is too high and heat is an issue. In 12 months or so, I may agree with you, but not today.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 am

are there laptop LGA775's??? I thought they put the Core series into a socket 479?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site