Switching motherboards, can't connect power button.

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Switching motherboards, can't connect power button.

Postby dcman98 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:43 am

I've had my Compaq Presario SR1630NX for quite a few years now, added a video card and upgraded the power supply. Finally, the motherboard died, and I've decided to upgrade. Now, the video card and power supply is the most experience I've had in modifying a system, so I've been researching, reading, and learning a good deal about motherboards and compatability and the rest. I chose the Asus M3N78-VM to replace the Asus A8AE-LE which the system came with. I've installed the processor, heat sink, even all the cables, almost.

There are two cables which I am at a loss to connect. The first is a microphone jack from the face of the computer. I rarely use this jack, so to go without it is bearable, but if someone knows where it goes, all the better.

The second cable is the problematic, and vital, one. There are 6 wires from the front of the case, which control the power button, the system power LED, and the Hard Disc activity LED.

The six wires are arranged in the following manner (looking at the end of the plug)

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10

Where the numbers are the following:

1- Hard Disc activity
2- Hard Disc ground
6- System Power LED
7- System Power Ground
8- Power Button
9- Power Button ground

That is how the cable is wired. the motherboard is wired in a completely incompatible manner.

So, the question is, how do I connect the power button to my new motherboard so that I can turn it on?

Thank you,

David
dcman98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby o1die2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 am

Face the case connector towards the pin cluster; it's shaped about the same (rectangular), slip part of one side over the pins, then leave one side (without the wires) hanging out not making contact with the motherboard pins. My compaq connector only has about 5 wires; the rest of the plug is empty. It won't hurt the board is it's wrong as long as you're sure you're using the right cluster of pins. Don't leave it hanging out at the side of the cluster (don't connect the plug sideways).
o1die2
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:58 am

That will work, but it won't connect the reset button, case speaker, HDD LED, that sort of thing. The better way to do it is to use some tape, mark each wire with what pin it goes to, then just a small jewelers screwdriver or the end of a sharp knife to bend back the retaining clip on the metal sleeve inside the connector block and remove the wire and sleeve from the block. Plug the wire onto the pin it corresponds to.

As far as the microphone, look in your motherboard manual for the front audio connector, I forget what Asus calls it, something starting with an A. Ten pins with one pin on the end missing. Your manual will have a pinout of which pin does what, so you know where to conect it. Again, you may have to remove the connector block to fit the wires on the pins (if it's in the middle, the block won't fit between the rows of pins). On my board, an older Asus, the front panel header is located on the corner of the board, bottom rear if you're looking at it as mounted in the case, below the PCI slots and very close to the edge of the board by the expansion slot covers in the case. Should be green, I don't think Asus changed that.
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby o1die2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 am

On an ecs board, connectors were a perfect match, as the speaker pins were separate. No reset button on my compaq case. With a biostar motherboard, the pin cluster includes the speaker pins, but they don't interfere with the rest of the connections. My first suggestion should get you the power led light, hardrive led light, and power switch, which is all you need.
o1die2
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby dcman98 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:27 pm

I spoke to Asus, who said that the power button wiring is proprietary for HP, whose case this is. They said to take apart the connector and connect the wires directly.

But how do I do that? Firstly, there are 3 pairs of wires, Red/Black, Yellow/Black, and Green/Black. Judging on where the wires originate, I can assume which pair is which. Is the black wire the ground? Is there a standard setup?

Secondly, how should I attach the wires? Should I solder them? Put them in a fitting connector?

Thanks for all your help.

David
dcman98
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby o1die2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:18 pm

I wouldn't cut them at all. Try my method first. It won't hurt anything as long as you have the right cluster of pins. If your connectors are individual, try each one until the computer starts and each indicator light comes on. The pins are all low voltage. My connector is proprietary, yet all my indicator lights work fine. The connector is just a little offset from the other pins.
o1die2
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby sylvester » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:07 pm

The black wire is probably the ground as it is the common colour, I think you have a connector block which is the problem, if this is the case, carefull cutting of the connector is all that is required, cut it across between the 2&3 and 7&8 so you will have a 6 pin block(pins 3,4,5,8,9,10) and a 4 pin block (1,2,6,7). The 6 pin block with only 2 wires connected are the power switch and it doesn't matter which way they are connected. For the other connectors, cut them so you have 1&2 together and 6&7 together, then split the 6&7. Use a small thin hacksaw to cut the plastic, so long as you are carefull there will be no exposed terminals, it won't look too pretty but it's functional.
sylvester
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm

fussnfeathers wrote: The better way to do it is to use some tape, mark each wire with what pin it goes to, then just a small jewelers screwdriver or the end of a sharp knife to bend back the retaining clip on the metal sleeve inside the connector block and remove the wire and sleeve from the block. Plug the wire onto the pin it corresponds to.

This. Far easier and safer than trying to saw a connector block that doesn't fit (and won't fit, as I recall the holes on the connector block are closer together than the pins on the motherboard).
Faster than the speed of snot

and for the million hours that we were....well I'll smile and remember them all, then I'll turn and go....
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support