I Think my ISP is playing with my bandwidth.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I Think my ISP is playing with my bandwidth.

Postby skippyboy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 pm

About a month and a half ago it is when it first started with my DSL service. I was getting cut off randomly for no apparent reason. After a reboot/ reset on there modem things are fine for about 24 hours than it happens again. Last week they came in and tested the line which turned out to be OK, and give me a new modem. This did not help at all and still getting drops. I've been running speedtest and the results are all over the place for download speeds. After a reset of the modem it runs at 10 mb's, which is were it used to run all the time, but now it works it's self back down to a steady 5 mb's and sometimes less than that with only 1 PC running on my network. Since they put fiber in are area in June ( I'm on the list but Sept. 21 is my hook up day) this has not only been happening to me but all my neighbors to. Do you think the ISP has rerouted are bandwidth from DSL at the substation to give priority to the fiber? It's just a wild shot here because everybody who has DSL is being switched over for free and getting the service at the same price. That's why I think something fishy is going on here. What do you guys think?
skippyboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 am

I think the maximum bandwidth is mentioned but there's no minimum guaranteed bandwidth mentioned anywhere in the contract. That is how ALL providers work these days...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 am

evasive wrote:I think the maximum bandwidth is mentioned but there's no minimum guaranteed bandwidth mentioned anywhere in the contract. That is how ALL providers work these days...

also depending how many people are using the net, they will throttle it back, so the servers will cope
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:03 pm

They probably installed the new hardware needed for the fiber line, and screwed something up. Happened to me, too, when Fairpoint bought Verizon here, and installed their own hardware at the transfer station down the street. Only lasted a few days, though.

I wouldn't think it would be a server issue, the way DSL works, but who knows......if they merged the fiber connections (shared) with the DSL connections (not shared) they're idiots. Good news on the price, though.....I checked into fiber here, and for any reasonable increase it's almost four times what I pay now. Definitely ride them about it, but if they give you double your current speed, you're getting a killer deal.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby manicrabbit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 pm

I also have a problem with that. My bandwidth keeps on fluctuating. My friends told me it has something to do with how many people are connected to the internet and the activities done.
manicrabbit
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 am

manicrabbit wrote:I also have a problem with that. My bandwidth keeps on fluctuating. My friends told me it has something to do with how many people are connected to the internet and the activities done.

That should depend on the type of connection. If you have cable internet, then yes, this is an issue. You're on a shared line with everybody in your node, so when everybody gets home from work and school, expect your speeds to drop, sometimes considerably. If you're on DSL, your speeds won't be affected by anybody else in your area, you have a direct connection to the ISP, not shared. What DOES affect DSL speeds is distance from the transfer station, which is why you have to have a service check, then the phone company will tell you what, if any, service is available for you. It's typically full speed up to 1.5 miles, half of that speed from 1.5 miles to 5 miles, approximately, then it keeps dropping every couple of miles. Where I live, the outlying villages that don't have transfer stations, only small, fridge sized switching boxes, still don't have DSL, and only recently got cable. Dialup has been the only option here. Server quota problems can cause speed fluctuations, but like I said, it's a dumb DSL company that allows that to happen.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MBfans » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 am

this is controlled by the ISP, make a call :lol:
MBfans
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Networking